color questions

and you can sell them as black? or blue black? so when i breed black to blue i will get black or blue black? when they hatch out can you see the difference or probably when they are a week or so old
am i getting this right? and if so are they dq for black/blue

I have to say I do not understand what you mean by "blue black."

Some blues are so dark that it is difficult to distinguish that they are blue rather than black.

I'm not sure what specifically you are worried about for a DQ? Can you try to be a bit more expansive in describing your concerns.

Breeding a blue bird to a black bird will usually result in blues or blacks. Assuming that no gold or silver shows in either parent's hackles, it is unlikely to show in the hackles of offspring, although if it does it will be a DQ.

Blues have darker head, hackles, and on males, saddles.

In your first post you mention a black partridge--is that in some way a part of your concern?

i can get some eggs which i am very excited about she mentioned blue black pen so she mentioned that she has a pen with blue and black silkies with a black roo, so i would be getting blue/black eggs ? sorry i am new

i can get some eggs which i am very excited about she mentioned blue black pen so she mentioned that she has a pen with blue and black silkies with a black roo, so i would be getting blue/black eggs ?

If a pen had Blue and Black hens, and a Black Rooster, All of the eggs layed by the black hens would be black chicks, and half of the blue hens eggs would hatch blue chicks, (the other half black.)

So ASSUMING that the flock contains 50% blue hens and 50% black hens, (with the black rooster) you would get 25% Blue offspring, and 75% Black offspring. (Remember this is GUESSING that half the hens are blue and half are black.)

No Mixes, just Pure Blues and Pure Blacks.

Good Luck!!
Jason​

Last edited:
Okay, a blue black pen (or a black blue pen) simply means that she has blues and blacks penned together. From a breeding standpoint this is a very acceptable colour pairing. The eggs that come from this pen will hatch blue or black chicks. Each chick will be one colour or the other, not a mix of the two colours.

Being new is fine, you just have to provide enough information that we understand your questions.

Back
Top Bottom