Cream Legbar,
Cobar,
Cambar,
Barnebar,
Ancobar,
Amrock

Chris​

Last edited:
The birds listed in the link I provided are autosexing breeds, not sex-linked hybrids. Autosexing breeds --most of which were developed in England 60-80 years ago-- are birds than provide visually sexable chicks and that have a stable genome from generation to generation. Typically, it took several generations of experimental breeding before autosexing breeds were established.

By contrast, there are no true sex-linked breeds. Sex-linked birds are terminal hybrids that do not produce sex-linked chicks when bred with one another. Although for commercial purposes in America sex-linked birds are given breed names like Golden Comet, in fact they don't meet the definition of a breed because they do not produce 'copies' of themselves over successive generations.

If you want to learn more about the history of autosexing breeds I suggest you pick up copies of issues 81 and 82 of Practical Poultry magazine. They contain a two-part article that gives a great amount of detail on this subject.

Thank you for all the information about which Breeds that can be auto-sexed. I was actually wondering about which Color Varieties can be auto-sexed. I was under the (possibly mistaken) impression that some of our recognized Plumage Color Varieties could be auto-sexed. i.e. Can Color Varieties such as Partridge, Silver Pencilled, Gold Laced, Silver Laced, etc. be auto-sexed?

I dont think so, just barred/cuckoo is all i can think of

(edit to say this is response to just above post from cc ^^^)

Last edited:
Welsummers can sometimes be sexed by the V marking on their heads and barred breeds can be sexed by the white on their heads. With my Barnevelders, I've am working towards sexing them by breast down color. Pullets will usually have darker breast down and cockerels really light. It works most of the time
roll.png
There's always a few inbetweens in each hatch that makes it hard to tell. But, I'm getting better at it.

Here is an example: Boy left, girl center/front, boy right
30473_baby_chick_stink_eye.jpg

Last edited:
You can't sex them at hatch, but wheaten are pretty easy to tell apart once the wing feathers start coming in. After they're a couple of days old, the wings of the boys start growing black feathers, while the girls are beige. I can in the same way sex the chicks from my chocolate cock, as the pullets will all be chocolate but the boys will not. but that method of sexing won't hold true after the fist generation.

Quote:
I would say there is too much variation between the RIRs depending on where they came from, hatchery chicks are usually lighter than Heritage Reds and some dont have strips.

Back
Top Bottom