Colorado Chickens!

Nice intro! I like your the natural approach to cleaning up the property. There's nary a weed alive in the pastures where my goats and sheep live. One of the goats likes to escape, but sadly, she can't tell the difference between weeds and plants I value. ☹️

I love that you have a 5-year-old blind hen. Whenever I have a "special" pet, someone always suggests I put it down. I've have or have had a blind dog, a blind cat, a deaf dog and multiple poultry with crooked toes or bad legs. Every one of them has functioned well with their so-called "handicaps." Kudos to you for taking care of your girl!

Welcome to BYC, and best wishes with the fencing and the goats!
Interesting about the crooked toes and bad legs. I noticed several of our flock has crooked toes. I used 2x4 lumber turned so the narrow edge was up for roosts. The birds cannot wrap their toes all the way around the perch. I just learned birds lock their toes around the perch when they sleep so they don’t fall off. I believe my perch bars are too big causing deformed toes. I’ve read that leg problems are caused by slick floors especially in young chicks. There’s nothing slicker than wood chips on a metal floor in a stock tank. We don’t have leg problems but both of these things are being remedied ASAP. I’m going to replace the perch bars with 2x2” lumber. Round “Dowel” rods are no good as they will roll causing the birds to fall. I’ll sand the corners of the 2x2 so they aren’t sharp 😊

Interesting about the crooked toes and bad legs. I noticed several of our flock has crooked toes. I used 2x4 lumber turned so the narrow edge was up for roosts. The birds cannot wrap their toes all the way around the perch. I just learned birds lock their toes around the perch when they sleep so they don’t fall off. I believe my perch bars are too big causing deformed toes. I’ve read that leg problems are caused by slick floors especially in young chicks. There’s nothing slicker than wood chips on a metal floor in a stock tank. We don’t have leg problems but both of these things are being remedied ASAP. I’m going to replace the perch bars with 2x2” lumber. Round “Dowel” rods are no good as they will roll causing the birds to fall. I’ll sand the corners of the 2x2 so they aren’t sharp 😊
I like to use 2x4s with the 4 side up. This way they can sit flat and keep their toes under all the fluff. Keeps the feet warm in cold temps. :) Helps prevent frost bite on toes.

Welcome to BYC. I love turkens. Do you have some photos to post?
I also have an old hen, who is blind. My rooster, her grandson, leads her to food and water, keeps her with the flock, and roosts with her. She gets spooked very easily, but I'm surprised at how well she manages.
For a long time one of our flock would stay with our blind bird in the coop and run. They rotated this duty. Now they don’t bother babysitting her. She functions very well on her own! The Turkens are 8 weeks old so pictures aren’t to good. We call this one hawk.

Attachments

• A7031895-DE99-4394-AA5D-C730777E5590.jpeg
    A7031895-DE99-4394-AA5D-C730777E5590.jpeg
    674.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 3C23AE23-F23A-43B6-8FB0-B13EB016C6CD.jpeg
    3C23AE23-F23A-43B6-8FB0-B13EB016C6CD.jpeg
    759.3 KB · Views: 2
These are the favorite perches with my birds. They are already sanded, so they are my favorite too.
Screenshot_20230423_120344_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom