Colorado

Colorado folks! I put a group of 5 silkies (2 roos/3 hens) at BYC auction. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=385374
I
just can't run 2 breeds at once. One of the hens:

17059_misou_jan2010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Question!

I've been informed that there is a swap in september in Brighton. Anyone have any details on this? Such as when, what time, whats up, where, how, who, etc?
big_smile.png

I too would like to know of any swap meeting in Brighton.
To anyone interested I have 6 East Indie black ducks for sale. They are 4ish months old and some have white on their chest. I have tooooo many ducks. I do not want to ship since that would be kind of harsh on them so just PM me and I can get pictues to you once I find the camera that got lost in the move. I am not sure if the bird are pure or not but the are small with small bills kind of shovel looking with the distictive irridecent green and purple in the black feathers.

There is a swap Sept 12 at Brighton Grain & Feed put on by Rocky Mtn Pheasant & Waterfowl Assoc as a fundraiser. It starts pretty early by 6:30. A big variety of poultry (& people!)--chickens, pigeons, turkeys, geese, doves, quail, etc.
Its held in the odd months May - Nov, 2nd Sunday

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I have several Bantam Cochins that will be going to the swap in September. Most are just around 2 months now. I would really prefer to re-home them before the swap. If anyone is interested in Bantam Cochins, please PM me for availability.

rant.gif
Well the code enforcement "officer" was skulking around AGAIN this morning
smack.gif
. I watched her drive by the back yard really slow. Sorry but I know the look I had on my face wasn't the nicest one I could come up with.

Coopa- I'm fairly certain that 2 of the babies are boys
sad.png
and one of them (smaller, darker red wattles and comb) comes up to me to get his daily chest rubbing. The other has a much more red wattles and comb. And the 3rd doesn't have any. I hate sending them to the swaps.

So I just saw the code officer talking to my neighbor. I guess now all the trees and bushes up and down the road are over grown and this same city of Arvada employee that has complained about my chickens is now turning all the people in for the jungles they apparently have in their backyards between the fences and the road. I grew up here and these yards have ALWAYS had bushes and trees like this. This is rediculous.

Quote:
That CEO needs to get a life. Someone in your neighborhood is obviously complaining about EVERYTHING. Wish there was a way to unmask that person. This past spring, they were focusing on our neighborhood - we were the ones who got the free trash day this year. I put stuff out - every single piece was gone before their trucks got here! (I have very nice trash!!) After that, they did a major code enforcement on yard cleanup. I sweated it out, and prayed that the boys stayed quiet while they were in the neighborhood.

Just this week, Seattle changed their ordinance, going from 3 chickens to 8 hens. Anyone currently having roosters is allowed to keep them, and allow them to live out their lives. But no new roosters. Their ordinance re-structuring is part of a whole make-over of their "urban agriculture" philosophy, which includes selling home-grown crops.

Especially with Colorado being the home of the National Western, you would think it would be a lot easier for us to adopt an "Urban Agriculture" philosophy. I know that there are a lot of economic issues facing everyone this election year, but I think we need to find a way to get the legislators at all levels to take a look at this. Urban Agriculture, raising chickens and being self-sufficient, I believe, is tied directly to the economy and going green.

And people could eat eggs without worrying about all the current recalls!!!

It might be kindof cool if a bunch of us could pool our resources, and find just a small little plot of land where we could have a "Rooster Retreat". Not necessarily a place for all roosters to go, but a place where we could safely, and legally, keep just our good breeders. Like a community garden plot. Or maybe we could find a farmer/rancher who wants to earn a few extra bucks boarding roosters - like they board horses.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom