Colorado

I'm new to this forum and I've been starting to look into raising back yard chickens. Unfortunately I currently live in Broomfield and, from what I can tell, chickens are not allowed. We are considering mounting a push for changing the law, but I'm curious if there are other in Broomfield that would be interested in joining the fight?

Beyond Broomfield, what experiences are people having in other close by communities?

We have actually been looking to re-locate (locally) for reasons beyond just the chickens (e.g., more land, more freedom for chickens, goats, etc.) and we're researching other communities to see whether we would have more freedom to do this in the North Denver metro area and beyond (e.g., Loveland, Longmont, Erie, etc.)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC ccuilla!!! As maybe you've read, I'm having my own problems with code enforcement here in Arvada. Not sure about Broomfield. Coopacabana aka Gail could help you further with info you need. Good luck!

As long as you are in unincorporated weld county (and I suppose in an agricultural zone) you can have whatever you want, up to a certain animal unit amount. we are allowed four animal units per acre, which in chicken terms is 50 chickens per animal unit, so 200 chickens per acre!
smile.png
I dunno about broomfield, but I know in dacono, which is the town we are technically part of, you are only allowed two ducks and two rabbits unless you are in unincorporated (which is why I say technically
smile.png
)

Hi Colorado BYCers! Another flock in Colorado Springs represented here. I'm a constant lurker but rarely post, however, I just had to boast about our girls; a week ago this past Saturday (July 24, to be less obtuse), we got our first egg. Since then, the frequency of egg laying has begun to slowly ratchet up. I am beginning to see two eggs each day, and I suspect we're only dealing with two or three of our eight pullets as producers. The total yield is 13 eggs and I am excited--nay, tickled--to check each day to see more.

A few questions to you, my people, before I dig too deep into posts gone by for the answers I seek:
1. Nesting boxes. They don't use them. I have five boxes for eight chicks, and each egg has been laid directly on the shavings I use as bedding in a corner of the coop. I've set up a couple pieces of scrap plywood to act as blinds (a privacy measure, perhaps a reflection of some untapped modesty within me), but I wonder if I'm hindering their adoption of the nest boxes. I've read golf balls or wooden eggs in the boxes can help, and I've managed to pick up a couple of the girls and place them in a box ... they seem pretty uncomfortable and simply jump down. So, the question is: What would you do to encourage them to lay in the boxes, or break them of their floor laying ways?
2. Geese and chickens. My wife wants to get a goose as a counterpoint to our chickens (to speak nothing of our cat and teenage daughter). The idea is that the goose would be my wife's charge, as I've pretty well claimed all responsibility for the management and welfare of the chickens. It's also a compromise; we've talked about a dog, but I am a little apprehensive about taking on a canine, especially as we'd likely go for a pup and all that entails. Has anyone in CO (or elsewhere, but reading this thread) ever integrated a gosling into a flock of maturing pullets? I've read that Colorado Springs city ordinance allows for ten fowl, with the language reading "chickens, ducks, etc." ... so, I assume a goose is covered under "etc." What do you think?
3. Eggs. With eight girls (we've got Production Reds, Barred Rocks, EEs and Buff Orpingtons, two of each), how many eggs per week do you think we should expect when they're laying away at optimum production? Do I need to add calcium to their diet, and if so, how would you recommend I source this calcium? Oyster shells?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Okay! That's it for now. Completely addicted to BYC and look forward to checking in at the forum as often as possible. Thanks for creating such a terrific resource and community.

Zilla, mother raising their own babies is quite the barnyard experience...hoping the Brama's would set...

Get a pair of geese. One is a lonely number when you are talking about birds.
The good thing about geese is you wont need a lawn mower anymore
big_smile.png

LOL. No, but they do keep away door to door salesman. Another plus.

I wish I had room for African geese. I love fluffy dinosaurs!

Back
Top Bottom