Colorado

It's more than that now.  The quote that I was given was almost $220.  I have elected to forego the xray and save almost $50 off the total tab.   The analytical part of me told me to just sell her for $25 to someone who wanted a nice peking duck dinner and save myself the added bill.   I still couldn't do it though.  I know, I know....   stupid when pekings ducks are raised for their meat.  Still, I couldn't do it.

That's about where my bill ended up. It just varies by treatment choices. And I was about as crazy; spent almost $300 on a sick Polish. :rolleyes:

P-Funk, I would LOVE to have a pup like that some day! That's just amazing!

So a funny thing happened this morning. .....
I was trying to modify my hen house nest boxes, but the hens were laying so I occupied myself with the other weekly chicken chores. I got all the waterers topped off.....still on the nests. I topped off all the feeders.....Still on the nests. I do a repair on pen one...they are still on the nests. So I go get some hay and spread it around the hen house floor. As I get closer to the nest boxes, one EE hen is getting increasingly agitated. Finally as I start spreading out the hay right next to her, she has had enough. She apparently thought she was finished laying her egg......
She hops off the nest, and jumps to the floor, when the egg she was laying popps out of her behind onto the freshly spread hay. She didn't even stop, but ran out the door. It was nice and warm, no cracks, and probably scrambled LOL

My chicken coop sign finally arrived!

LOL Love it Wendi C!

Wendell, hens are just weirdos sometimes, aren't they?

Today is day 21 for the eggs I picked up from Paul 3 weeks ago. Aside from the two SLW that hatched a week earlier than expected, my expectations are plummeting rapidly. One RIR pipped last night and hasn't made much progress since, and none of the others are pipped. Will wait a few more days, but hope declines. He said he's had a low hatch rate at his place too, but I sure was hoping for at least a few.

If not, I will be happy with the 3 pullets that did hatch from the eggs we got from him earlier this year. They are all coming along very nicely, and the eggs I got from Ron Fogle provided me with 1 cockerel their age, and then the 4 that hatched the following month, of which I am sure 1 is a pullet and 1 is a cockerel, and the other two are still in question, but at this time I am guessing cockerels. That would give me 4 pairs of very nice heritage RIR if I keep all 4 cockerels, which is not what I had planned, but we shall see how they grow out I guess. Both breeders have done a stellar job with their breeding programs, I see such consistency in all their birds. That is what will make it difficult to select. I see no clear faults in any of them right now, but they are young, and Ron has counseled often to wait a year before culling anything that doesn't have obvious DQs.

The two SLW are in with the Silkies who are raising 5 of their own chicks, and doing great. The dark partridge hen seems to spend the most time with those two chicks in particular, and she and one of the black hens feed all the chicks by picking out mouthfuls of the FF and breaking it into tiny pieces for the chicks. This morning I spent the better part of a quarter hour just watching them feed the chicks. It consumes me. When the rest of the eggs I gave them hatch (or don't, but I sure hope they do) in two weeks and a couple of days, if any of the eggs in the incubator hatch I'll slip them in with them as well, and let them raise chicks for a few weeks without any eggs to brood. Unless they start laying their own again I don't plan to give them any more for several weeks, they need a break. The Mister is being a good boy but I suspect he's had about enough of all their brooding as well LOL.

Cool sign Wendi!! Where did you order it from?

Pozee, Sounds like you have a nice starter flock of RIR! Congrats! Hope you end up with a breeding pair of SLW too.

We have clear skies in our area today, Hope they get the South Fork fire under control soon. Too many fires burning in Colorado at this time.

Time does slip away when one spends it in the chicken coop! They are more entertaining sometimes than TV! Enjoy those chicken antics Wendell!

P Funk, Nice to have a dog gather your eggs for you! Will you be teaching him how to put them in an egg carton next???
ep.gif

Does anyone have any chicks or chickens that they are interested in selling?
My neighbors are wanting eggs and I can not keep up with the supply and demand.
I have 13 chickens and 3 coops, so I have room to expand.

I think I am interested in some that lay white eggs,
I've been scrolling though craigslist....
Wendy 233-0650

She hops off the nest, and jumps to the floor, when the egg she was laying popps out of her behind onto the freshly spread hay. She didn't even stop, but ran out the door. It was nice and warm, no cracks, and probably scrambled LOL

Too Funny! I have to play a game called count the adult hens every day when I want to check the exterior egg box for eggs. If I can only count 5, I have to wait. I've opened the box a few times to find a hen sitting and she wasn't very happy about it. Don't know how that will work when I have 13 laying. Kinda hard to count 13 moving chickens.

Back
Top Bottom