Colorado

To anyone who may have been affected by the Black Forest fire...I would be willing to help you out with anything you may need...chicken wise or elsewhere. Hopefully anyone there stayed safe.

I just got back from a vacation but the home of my daughter's mother was within yards of being lost and I can only imagine how tough it could be for anyone up that way. I like to help and am willing to do what I can to do so...

Shoot me a msg if their is anything needed...I will do what I can :)

suncatcher, the first batch of Fermented Feed I made, I stirred once or twice a day and let it sit for (I think) 3 days (could have been 2, I'm not exactly the patient sort) - as soon as I saw bubbles I fed it out. What I do daily now is feed out about 75% of what I have, add new dry ingredients and water until the top is covered, stir well, and put back on the shelf to ferment until the next morning. Mine is in the house so doesn't really react to outdoor temp fluctuations, although it's plenty warm enough now to ferment out in the coop, I just prefer having it inside. If it was outside it would be covered with a towel, but inside the house I don't bother.

If you want to feed some out after 24 hours and add new ingredients and water, there is still a lot to be gained by feeding soaked, even if it isn't technically fermenting yet. Many experts would tell me my FF isn't really fermented, but it smells fermented to me, and I worry a lot less about adhering to "rules" than about whether my birds seem to be thriving. Aside from a couple of anomolous deaths that had nothing to do with feed (they have dry available all the time in case they don't want to eat the FF) my birds seem to be doing well, bright eyed, good feather quality, good weight, etc.

Wendell, I can completely sympathize. Just makes you want to crawl in a hole, doesn't it? It will all get done though. Should be interesting to see how your flock re-integrates - I wonder if it would be good cover for adding the teenagers, or whether doing that at the same time will just make for more mayhem? Interested to hear what you decide to do.

Judi

Pozees gave a great answer. The first sitting could take up to three days, although its warm right now, so it should go faster. The wetter mine is the faster and more vigorously it bubbles, then I add dry till I like the thickness. I keep mine outside right now, and am hoping to keep it outside this winter as well. I really hated dragging it in and out, and I dislike the smell in the house.

Hey, cool! Thank you, Minchi! :)

Minchi, I'm gonna call you every time I can't figure out how to do something on the puter. This trying to reply and ending up far away from where I started has annoyed me forever.

LOL, I have been unmasked!
hide.gif

Minchi - Whatever you do, don't let your parents know you know anything about computers. It immediately guarantees you a full time unpaid job in the IT industry.

suncatcher, the first batch of Fermented Feed I made, I stirred once or twice a day and let it sit for (I think) 3 days (could have been 2, I'm not exactly the patient sort) - as soon as I saw bubbles I fed it out. What I do daily now is feed out about 75% of what I have, add new dry ingredients and water until the top is covered, stir well, and put back on the shelf to ferment until the next morning. Mine is in the house so doesn't really react to outdoor temp fluctuations, although it's plenty warm enough now to ferment out in the coop, I just prefer having it inside. If it was outside it would be covered with a towel, but inside the house I don't bother. If you want to feed some out after 24 hours and add new ingredients and water, there is still a lot to be gained by feeding soaked, even if it isn't technically fermenting yet. Many experts would tell me my FF isn't really fermented, but it smells fermented to me, and I worry a lot less about adhering to "rules" than about whether my birds seem to be thriving. Aside from a couple of anomolous deaths that had nothing to do with feed (they have dry available all the time in case they don't want to eat the FF) my birds seem to be doing well, bright eyed, good feather quality, good weight, etc.
OK, thanks for that info! I am right at 24 hours, mine is in the house too, thought with bugs, etc, best to keep it in the house. I have bubbles today, not many a little bigger than a half dollar in size on one side. Is that the fermenting?? I have read up on this, but was months ago, so now I have the questions! lol I am trying to keep it covered in the water and vinegar, but I added too much feed, so it keeps growing! I am only using a 6 qt plastic shoe box for my first batch, just in case they don't like it, did not want to have to toss away a bucket full.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom