Colorado

well tonight I spent extra time outside in the coop. It was so cool and breezy that I hung out there longer than normal. My 14 chickens have not really noticed the 2 turkey poults that are running around in their coop. I had to catch each one of the turkeys and show them how to use the nipple waters and also show them the top branch in our chicken play ground structure. While I was carriyng them around with me... my 4 moth old Blue Marans Roo got all upset and crowed at me and ran towards me like he was going to protect the turkeys from me. That was new and first time behavior. I was so surprised. After I spent my bonding time with the turkeys, I caught him and carried him around with me, while I told him I was boss and not to mess with me!

Yes, try looking into Freedom Rangers.  IMHO they are way better than Cornish.  Still messy and grow fast, but not nearly as bad.   I will never do Cornish again.

Thanks Megs! I will give them a try next year. My coop is going to be full of pullets growing out to POL for Feb sale so no meaties over winter.

Though I may end up with a rooster to harvest. I have a Cuckoo Maran "pullet" I started calling Bertha as she was bigger than the rest. Then her legs got chunky and her come got big. Bertha is now called Bert. I hope there is a buyer out there for him but he won't be staying past September either way.

I am going to need a snack to get thru my post reading!
pop.gif

Edit: We got some great rain and scary
duc.gif
lightening last night. So glad for the rain. My poor girls were completely terrified outside in their coop. It was their first storm.

Last edited:
Hello,

I am looking to purchase some bulk organic grains and such for chicken food. I feel like I am having a hard time finding something in Denver area.

Can anyone recommend some stores.

I am looking for the following items:
Kelp
flax seed
crab meal
cultured yeast
field peas
wheat
oats
barley
fish meal

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I am going to need a snack to get thru my post reading!
pop.gif

Edit: We got some great rain and scary
duc.gif
lightening last night. So glad for the rain. My poor girls were completely terrified outside in their coop. It was their first storm.

That was a way cool storm!!! We are getting more rain as I type too. A house up here was hit by lightning, caught on fire and destroyed on the inside from that storm.

Hello,

I am looking to purchase some bulk organic grains and such for chicken food. I feel like I am having a hard time finding something in Denver area.

Can anyone recommend some stores.

I am looking for the following items:
Kelp
flax seed
crab meal
cultured yeast
field peas
wheat
oats
barley
fish meal

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I would start with Azure Standard (online) but with deliveries to Denver for a decent price range and then try out the different Co-ops.
Sprouts and the like will carry some of this stuff. I am not sure if there will be one store that carries all, especially for a "realistic" price.

Minchi - Whatever you do, don't let your parents know you know anything about computers. It immediately guarantees you a full time unpaid job in the IT industry.

Yep, too late for that however I get some reprieve because my DH knows about everything when it comes to computers so my minuscule knowledge get overlooked most of the time except when he is tire and just forces it on me. :p

Hi Chicken Friends,

At the risk of not minding my own business, I wanted to mention that there's a person on the Colorado Chickens FB page offering to buy, sell, and trade unwanted chickens. If you click on his profile and do a basic google search, there is info you might want to know before you get involved. Now back to minding my own business . . . .

Any info like that is useful, what this page is here for.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom