Colorado

suncatcher

Songster
7 Years
Oct 20, 2012
In front of my computer
So after doing a search, I realized I was thinking of Gunnison, I have no idea what the weather is like in Montrose! Oops! It looks to be mild, and lower altitude than Colorado Springs. Sounds like lovely place!!!
Should be able to find a rental fairly easily, there is Western State college in the area, so maybe the best time to find a rental is now, before schools starts back up! As to the pronunciation, I have not idea. lol

ETA,
Introduction to Montrose, Colorado
Montrose, Colorado, in Montrose county, is 166 miles W of Colorado Springs, Colorado. The city is home to some 12,344 residents.
Montrose History
Montrose was officially incorporated on May 2, 1882. The community was named after a character in Sir Walter Scott's novel, "The Legend of Montrose." The Denver & Rio Grande railroad entered Montrose in 1882. This helped make Montrose an important regional shipping center. The construction of the Gunnison Tunnel in 1909 transformed Montrose into an agricultural hub.
Montrose and nearby Attractions

• Montrose Regional Library
  • Montrose County Historical Museum
  • Montrose Botanic Gardens
  • Aquatic Center
  • Montrose Golf Course
  • Black Canyon National Park

Things To Do In Montrose
To learn more about the regional history and culture, one can visit the Ute Indian Museum or the Montrose County Historical Museum. The Montrose Plaza Shopping Center offers excellent entertainment opportunities. In addition, one can also spend a day at the Montrose Botanic Gardens, the Aquatic Center, Grand Mesa or the Gunnison national forests. Golfers can enjoy a round at the Montrose Golf Course.
Montrose Transportation
Montrose Regional Airport is the nearest airport.
Montrose Higher Education
Higher educational opportunities are provided by Mesa State College and the Western State College of Colorado.

Last edited:

samsr

Songster
7 Years
Jul 24, 2012
Fountain, Colorado
I was given 9 courtinex quale eggs today and am thinking of raising a few. I know they are fertile as the person I got them from has males in with the females. I have done some reading up on them and they seem quite easy to raise. I only have one issue. I need to use an incubator
I don't think the eggs would do well under my broody hen as she is huge in comparison. Does anyone in the springs area have a bator I could use for about 18 days or so??
I am going to start to build a rabbit type hutch tomorrow. It should go together rather fast as well as inexpensively.
I just need to bator. PM me if you know of someone with a spare that they will let me use. Thanks

Last edited:

WendyGeisler

Songster
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
NW side of colorado springs
I was given 9 courtinex quale eggs today and am thinking of raising a few. I know they are fertile as the person I got them from has males in with the females. I have done some reading up on them and they seem quite easy to raise. I only have one issue. I need to use an incubator
I don't think the eggs would do well under my broody hen as she is huge in comparison. Does anyone in the springs area have a bator I could use for about 18 days or so??
I am going to start to build a rabbit type hutch tomorrow. It should go together rather fast as well as inexpensively.
I just need to bator. PM me if you know of someone with a spare that they will let me use. Thanks
HI, Samsr,
you can borrow mine.
Wendy 233-0650

urbanfarmer101

Songster
9 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I am glad to know that. Hey is it pronounce Mon-trose or Mont-rose? We read that the area has only6" preticapation a year. I would think most moisture would come from the mountains. I know it will be colder. I hope chickens are allowed. I love serama and turkeys. Hope to find rental home that will allow pets.
I have heard it both ways. My parents say it the first way, but I have heard 'natives' say it the second. My parents found the climate very temperate. If they had snow, it melted almost the same day. They moved back to Iowa to be closer to grandkids. (Of course within 3 years of them moving to Iowa, we got moved to Colorado-the irony) They talk about moving back to Montrose often. They miss the weather very much. There is ranch/farming opportunities close to town. I don't know if the city proper allows poultry.

Mtn Margie

Free Ranging
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
CO Rockies - 8600ft up
Do you need the racks?

Minchi

Songster
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
Parker, CO
Yes, thinking very strongly about it. Want to touch bases to someone from there. Looking for a peaceful place that would be more affordable for hubby and I that are  both disabled. Can't handle a lot of snow either.
if you live east of the mountains and get a house that faces east, most the snow will mealt off the driveway on its own. I don't know Montrose's policy on chickens, to be safe I would look in to it and if you find a property with a HOA look in to them too. Just went through the house shuffle and you would be amazed who doesn't allow chickens and who requires permits. It is a great state to live in, been here 14 years and other then some bozoes in the local government and some local monopolies I have loved everything about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom