Colorado

Yes,her legs are white.
smile.png
Blue Andalusian?

This is my "exotic" extra from McMurray. Any clue as to what breed she is?
This morning I was able to enlarge the pic, and yeah, the comb is single so not a Wyandotte, looks like a decent sized comb already in fact. Silver Leghorn could be the right guess, it does look like a Leghorn comb, I have never seen a Silver chick though so no idea what they would look like at this age.

This morning I was able to enlarge the pic, and yeah, the comb is single so not a Wyandotte, looks like a decent sized comb already in fact.  Silver Leghorn could be the right guess, it does look like a Leghorn comb, I have never seen a Silver chick though so no idea what they would look like at this age.

Ok. Thanks for all your insight. I was at a loss for this one :confused: You are pretty sure it's a roo though? Is it the comb that gives it away? If it is, I'll have 3 Roos up for grabs. Thanks for everyone's input!

Not necessarily a roo, but let's just say I stopped requesting Mystery Chicks from McMurray when 3 in a row were males. This year I haven't bought from any of the hatcheries. I learned too much about what they do with extra male chicks, and have elected to hatch local eggs or those shipped from fellow keepers across the country.

Beware wind is insane, flipped my outdoor coop we use for shade, thankfully the girls were in the big coop.part of the roof flew off on large coop, but plywood still intact. Crazy I'm a native of Colorado and have never witnessed the wind this bad in our area. Stay safe .

Good warning elbertchick, it has been nasty the last several days. After witnessing the wind topple what I think is a reasonably heavy coop 2 years ago, we've overbuilt everything - the shed coop has double hurricane ties on every roof joist, and FL-approved 30-year shingles on the roof. Today's wind seems worse north and east of Pueblo.

I went out to check on for eggs and our BR is in the nest box I left the eggs in. Hopefully that means it worked that they'll stay out of the broody box. Our broody didn't come out of her box to eat this morning. I think because it is so cold she feels like she shouldn't leave them. I might bring her some food later if I don't see her.

8 new poults from Good Shepherd Poultry Ranch arrived at Windy ridge today!

Nice! Looking forward to pictures of how these mature..... have considered adding some GS here.

We don't really have a place to move her to or a way to wall her off. I'll have to work on it if any other eggs get broken. There is egg yolk on a couple eggs. I heard you shouldn't try to clean them though. I wiped it off as best I could when the yolk was wet but I a couple are still kind of dirty. I hope it doesn't affect the rest. :(
If we get anymore broken ones I'll have to figure something out to separate her.
I have done it both ways, left the broody in with the laying hens, and also moved her to her own nest area. Not sure why they are breaking the eggs, unless they are forcing her to move, and she is resisting, that may result in some broken eggs. I feed my broody part of a boiled egg every other day. I think some roosters feed their hens when they are on the nest, but have never seen it first hand.

We have no wind here today, but it did blow yesterday and the day before, a cold wind from the west.

Back
Top Bottom