Colorado

Thanks for the helpful info on chickens in Kiowa and 4H. We've signed the kids up and will start slow with chickens and probably not enter chickens, until next year. Daughter wants to do rabbits and dogs this year and already signed up for the year. We're heading to the Stock Show, but going the 20th for free day for school kids. Will the chickens be there then? I was hoping to see quite a few there and hoping to really chat with others. We're looking at BCMs, Austraulorps, Ameraucanas, Speckled Suxxex, Millie Fleaur Bantam, and Brahma to name a few. We like a variety and definitely interested in Heritage breeds.

We are hoping to try hatching a few eggs this coming year too, great educational experience for the kiddos. We've tried the HovaBator and the Brinsea incubators in the past. We had the best of luck with the HovaBator; however, it could have been the eggs we were hatching in the Brinsea too (shipped out). I plan on purchasing a Brinsea again and seeing what happens.

If anyone does know of anyone that will process chickens let me know. If there is a processing party, we're open to that too, just have to coordinate when are chickens will be ready. When does everyone typically start their meat chickens?

Thanks for all the helpful insight! We are chomping at the bit to get started with our coop and chickens for the year...a couple more months.

Thanks for the helpful info on chickens in Kiowa and 4H. We've signed the kids up and will start slow with chickens and probably not enter chickens, until next year. Daughter wants to do rabbits and dogs this year and already signed up for the year. We're heading to the Stock Show, but going the 20th for free day for school kids. Will the chickens be there then? I was hoping to see quite a few there and hoping to really chat with others. We're looking at BCMs, Austraulorps, Ameraucanas, Speckled Suxxex, Millie Fleaur Bantam, and Brahma to name a few. We like a variety and definitely interested in Heritage breeds.

We are hoping to try hatching a few eggs this coming year too, great educational experience for the kiddos. We've tried the HovaBator and the Brinsea incubators in the past. We had the best of luck with the HovaBator; however, it could have been the eggs we were hatching in the Brinsea too (shipped out). I plan on purchasing a Brinsea again and seeing what happens.

If anyone does know of anyone that will process chickens let me know. If there is a processing party, we're open to that too, just have to coordinate when are chickens will be ready. When does everyone typically start their meat chickens?

Thanks for all the helpful insight! We are chomping at the bit to get started with our coop and chickens for the year...a couple more months.

When we went to the swap show on the school day last year, they were just setting up for the chickens so there were only about 3-4 birds there. If you guys would like to come visit our "farm" and see our chickens to see a large variety (we have everything you are interested in except brahma), you are more than welcome.

I'm hoping to order meat birds in the spring. At least one other person might go in on the order with me, you are welcome to split it also. I think the hatchery I'm ordering from does orders in multitudes of 25 but not 100% sure of that.

We tried hatching last year (in a homemade incubator). Had much better luck with local eggs. I plan to hatch some again this year especially if no one goes broody at the right time or to do multiple batches at once (one under a broody and one in the bator).

I plan on hatching out at least once this coming spring, hope a few of my girls go broody as well. I thought I had a broody last week, but guess she was just protective of the egg she had just laid, as she we not on the nest that evening.

I am hoping to be able to set up an extra pen this year, as I want to start hatching some purebreed eggs. My Barnevelders have been a challenge for me for some reason. I keep going over my plans and changing them every other week, LOL, hope I can get it together soon!
wink.png

Tst, I definatley want some fertile BR hatching eggs from you, or even chicks once you have them.

Wind is terrible here today, geesh, no reason to clear the walkway, as it gets covered up again!!! We ended up with around four inches, but has drifted in places.

I plan on hatching out at least once this coming spring, hope a few of my girls go broody as well.  I thought I had a broody last week, but guess she was just protective of the egg she had just laid, as she we not on the nest that evening.

I am hoping to be able to set up an extra pen this year, as I want to start hatching some purebreed eggs.  My Barnevelders have been a challenge for me for some reason.  I keep going over my plans and changing them every other week, LOL, hope I can get it together soon!   ;)

Tst, I definatley want some fertile BR hatching eggs from you, or even chicks once you have them.

Wind is terrible here today, geesh, no reason to clear the walkway, as it gets covered up again!!!  We ended up with around four inches, but has drifted in places.
The wind is insane! My screen door almost blew off it's frame! It would be really nice out if there was no wind. Hope it's not as bad tomorrow. I might take you up on the offer to come see your farm sometime this spring. Sounds fun and informative. Happy holidays!

If anyone is gonna have day old (or about) silkie chicks for sale this spring, please let me know! I'm looking to buy three of assorted colors anytime from late January, on. Happy Holidays to all!

If anyone is gonna have day old (or about) silkie chicks for sale this spring, please let me know! I'm looking to buy three of assorted colors anytime from late January, on. Happy Holidays to all!
The only breeders of Silkies that I know here are Pozee, and Shyscreations, they both breed quality chicks.

Finally the wind has died down now to get out and shovel it, is really packed down!

Our wind never died down all day. I couldn't even get the hay barn door open to feed the horses. I had to go the long way around to get their hay. I could tell it was cold just by them staying in their stall all day, they rarely go in there. I fed them twice their normal amount of hay today to help them fight off the wind. Our chickens are lucky that their coop door is on the opposite side from the wind so they could get to their food easily. The goats on the other hand could barely make it out of their stall, there was a drift almost 2 feet high right in front of it. They got excited when they saw me coming with the hay though and tried to go through it, one sunk up to his chin. lol

I have hatched some of pozees chicks and have 2 beautiful roosters from them. We didn't want to silkie roosters but can't bear to part with either of them. They are gentlemen and have great type, even though they aren't a recognized color. Here is one of them.

Our wind never died down all day. I couldn't even get the hay barn door open to feed the horses. I had to go the long way around to get their hay. I could tell it was cold just by them staying in their stall all day, they rarely go in there. I fed them twice their normal amount of hay today to help them fight off the wind. Our chickens are lucky that their coop door is on the opposite side from the wind so they could get to their food easily. The goats on the other hand could barely make it out of their stall, there was a drift almost 2 feet high right in front of it. They got excited when they saw me coming with the hay though and tried to go through it, one sunk up to his chin. lol I have hatched some of pozees chicks and have 2 beautiful roosters from them. We didn't want to silkie roosters but can't bear to part with either of them. They are gentlemen and have great type, even though they aren't a recognized color. Here is one of them.
Handsome!

Back
Top Bottom