Colorado

I have never used a heat lamp, just a insulated coop with no drafts. I too would worry about no feathers on those naked necks! Yep, will be a different cold here, probably MUCH colder than OK, even though it is more humid there in OK.

I have never used a heat lamp, just a insulated coop with no drafts.  I too would worry about no feathers on those naked necks!  Yep, will be a different cold here, probably MUCH colder than OK, even though it is more humid there in OK.

Maybe we won't need a heat lamp. Hopefully our hands and heads will cooperate and the coop will turn out nice. Lol we are not very crafty carpenters.
She is the silliest looking chicken I've seen. I have a necked neck/silky mix orange and grey rooster who's really interesting looking too but he will have to stay here or go to the freezer camp. We have too many roosters. And living in town it's just not gonna fly. :-(

Well we might be facing culling one of our BO roo's, as I went out to bring the gang in from free range and found the boys fighting. Both with blood running from there heads, we got them separate, one in the small coop the other with the flock. We will leave the second in command in small coop until am, then we need to decide. Not sure what happened today, seems out of the blue for this. They have never fought before, we have plenty of hens for each, multiple feeding and watering stations as well. I have noticed about 7-8 ladies with bear backs, like the roo's are matting the same girls. Maybe that is a coincidence.

Last edited:
I have never used a heat lamp, just a insulated coop with no drafts. I too would worry about no feathers on those naked necks! Yep, will be a different cold here, probably MUCH colder than OK, even though it is more humid there in OK.
I have Naked Necks, I do have a scarf that I have almost finished, but only in the cold days of December did I use a heat lamp

I've never used a heat lamp. Just keep the coop well ventilated without a direct draft on the birds. I've read too many bad things about heat lamps. Last year I did use a halogen work lamp in their run to keep their water defrosted and they liked to hang out around it but I didn't put it in the coop and only used it when it was below -10.

Well we might be facing culling one of our BO roo's, as I went out to bring the gang in from free range and found the boys fighting. Both with blood running from there heads, we got them separate, one in the small coop the other with the flock. We will leave the second in command in small coop until am, then we need to decide. Not sure what happened today, seems out of the blue for this. They have never fought before, we have plenty of hens for each, multiple feeding and watering stations as well. I have noticed about 7-8 ladies with bear backs, like the roo's are matting the same girls. Maybe that is a coincidence.

Wow, sorry to hear you're in the same boat as me now
barnie.gif
The boss buff roo keeps the 2nd up on the roost continuously. The 2nd comes down early to eat and drink and then back down late for the same but other than that stays up on the roost. I'm almost done with the runs and hopefully once they are able to access more space the 2nd guy will have a better life. If not, he'll be headed for the pot. The way my BO girls backs are looking, I might cook the boss roo and give the 2nd a chance to see if he'll be a bit more gentle with them. I've had to spray Blu kote on several of their backs because they were actually bleeding.
somad.gif
Hope it works out for you.

It has finally hapened. The little white tufted goose that i hatched about 10 or 11 months ago finally laid her first egg. Not a huge one but a respectable 170 gram nice white egg. is is roughly 3.5 times the size of my silkie americauna eggs. They weigh in at around 47 grams. I will probably wait till this weekend to crack it and find out if it is fertle.

It has finally hapened. The little white tufted goose that i hatched about 10 or 11 months ago finally laid her first egg. Not a huge one but a respectable 170 gram nice white egg. is is roughly 3.5 times the size of my silkie americauna eggs. They weigh in at around 47 grams. I will probably wait till this weekend to crack it and find out if it is fertle.

That's a huge egg! Do you eat the goose eggs same as chicken eggs, or do you do something else (besides hatch) with them? The only time I ate a goose egg, it was so rich I couldn't finish it.

Back
Top Bottom