Colorado

Do you sell your lotions & salves online anywhere, @COChix ? I might have to try the shampoo mix. I avoid shampooing as much as I can since my hair is coloured, but it would be nice to have something to use that doesn't have that particular chemical that causes shampoo to dull hair colour.

I feel better about the whole fighting thing than I did when I came home last Thursday night & his whole head was covered in blood. Right now, Ody spends the days with all the ladies & Memnoch free ranges with Damien. When I get home, Memnoch gets penned up & everyone else free ranges until dusk. It's working fairly well, except when Damien prison breaks Memnoch out because those 2 have become buddies in commiserating about their lady problems. Father & Son have pretty much mellowed out with each other as far as serious clashes, it's just my Polish hens that are falling apart feather-wise because Memnoch is a little too eager and a lot too unskilled. :)

My baby peas seem to be doing better, they came out of the main pen on their own last night & explored a bit. Still won't let me get near them, so I'm slowly working on that. Damien loves to follow them around. He got a little pecky but it was in the curious way, not an aggressive way. It's going to be a busy time next month getting everyone set up for winter!

On my internet journey I came across this.... kinda cool!!!! https://www.yahoo.com/autos/this-is-americas-scariest-stretch-of-road-and-127497418057.html Check out those pictures!!!

Glad your flock integration is going fairly smoothly, U still have mine somewhat separate, but those together are getting along, knock on wood!!!

Cooler nights is helping cool the house down, but boy is it HOT today!!! Must be down on the front range too!

These guys came by the other day, so snapped their picture, very rare for our area.

I just remember getting car sick as a kid every time we went camping because I couldn't handle mountain roads - that road would probably kill me! LOL

Hi all I am new to Backyard Chickens. We live east of Colorado Springs and are new to having chickens. I have 8 buff Orpington hens and 1 buff Orpington rooster. I got 4 kids who just love having them. I also have a doberman who just lays around the yard with them.lol
welcome a bit late. We are in Falcon and started our chicken adventure in January. We have 8 large fowl. And 5 weeks ago my daughter decided to add....yes....130 more. So raising 130 chicks at the moment. Of course, she decided to get the bunch but she goes off to work every day and as granny nanny it's now my responsibility to take care of all the chicks too. It's stressful at times. I really loved having the 8 as I told my daughter 8 is fun. 130 is a job. I don't think she heard me
1f609.png
love them all anyway. How can you not!

Last edited:
Do you sell your lotions & salves online anywhere, @COChix
? I might have to try the shampoo mix. I avoid shampooing as much as I can since my hair is coloured, but it would be nice to have something to use that doesn't have that particular chemical that causes shampoo to dull hair colour.

I feel better about the whole fighting thing than I did when I came home last Thursday night & his whole head was covered in blood. Right now, Ody spends the days with all the ladies & Memnoch free ranges with Damien. When I get home, Memnoch gets penned up & everyone else free ranges until dusk. It's working fairly well, except when Damien prison breaks Memnoch out because those 2 have become buddies in commiserating about their lady problems. Father & Son have pretty much mellowed out with each other as far as serious clashes, it's just my Polish hens that are falling apart feather-wise because Memnoch is a little too eager and a lot too unskilled. :)

My baby peas seem to be doing better, they came out of the main pen on their own last night & explored a bit. Still won't let me get near them, so I'm slowly working on that. Damien loves to follow them around. He got a little pecky but it was in the curious way, not an aggressive way. It's going to be a busy time next month getting everyone set up for winter!

I don't sell them anywhere yet, maybe down the road. I would be willing to sell you some, I can even add scents of essential oils that you may like. The cannabis salve works wonders on pain, it it made with Organic Coconut oil, Organic Nettles (extracted in Organic Olive oil), Organic Arnica, lanolin, castor oil and beeswax. We use it all the time in our aches and pains. I use it a lot on my neck and arm to help with nerve pain, swelling and inflammation. As far as the hair stuff, it is super easy - put in an old shampoo bottle or squeeze bottle - 1 tablespoon baking soda and I cup of distiller water, that is the shampoo. The conditioner is the same measurements but with Apple Cider Vinegar you can add any essential oil air you like, I add peppermint to ours. Gives your head a nice tingle. It takes a couple weeks of using this system for your hair to balance out and to produce the Right amount of oil. Some people have to stop the baking soda shampoo after a bit as they find it too harsh on their scalp. I love it and it feels great on head. I used to color my hair with chemicals but recently switched over to Henna and coconut milk, love it! Anyway PM and we can go from there as far as lotions/salves. Also I have made a very mild version of cannabis salve for the chickens and dogs with coconut oil and calendula oil as well with a hint of lavendar. Used on Rocco's comb after his blood bath with Bruno and his frost bite. Sure he lost most of his tips but everything healed just fine.

Last edited:
I will be ordering organic feed again through this place by the 5th of September. If anyone is interested in joining me, if we get enough people we can get it for a reduced fee. Anyway, have fed it before and our chickens did really well on it, organic feed through the feed stores is pricy and I cannot always find the non-corn/soybean type.

http://happyhens.biz

INGREDIENTS
Ingredients: Organic lentils, organic wheat, organic flaxmeal, organic millet, organic oats, calcium
carbonate, naturally preserved menhaden fish meal, organic molasses, organic poultry premix
(Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Monosodium Phosphate, Organic Kelp Meal,
Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Yeast Culture, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese
Sulfate, Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Diatomaceous Earth, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate,
Sodium Selentie, Niacin, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3, Natural Sources of Vitamin E
(d-alpha Tocopheryl acetate), Pantothenic Acid, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Biotin, Organic
Potato Starch, Organic Aloe Vera Gel Concentrate, Organic Dehydrated Eggs, Organic Dried
Tomato Pomace, Organic Dried Whole Milk, Organic Linseed Meal, Organic Lecithin, Organic
Wheat Middlings, Organic Sugar, Natural Sources of (Magnesium, Iron, Potassium), Potassium
Chloride, Attapulgite Clay, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Ferric Choline Citrate Complex,
Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Copper Choline Citrate Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex,
(MSBC) Source of Vitamin K, Vitamin B12, Thiamine, Magnesium Oxide, Sodium Sulfate,
Magnesium Oxide, Carotene, Ascorbic Acid, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium
Thermophilum, Lactobacillus Casei, Enterococcus Faecium, Organic Sources of (Cayenne Pepper,
Peppermint, Garlic, Parsley, Dandelion Root Extract, Elder Flowers, Dandelion Extract, Ginger
Extract, German Chamomile, Lemon Grass Extract, Thyme, Sweet Fennel Extract, Sweet Basil,
Sage, Cloves), Natural Tocopherols), salt, organic D.U.A. (Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation
Product, Organic Dried Kelp, Organic Linseed Meal, Organic Wheat Middlings, Reed-Sedge Peat,
Organic Dried Tomato Pomace, Attapulgite Clay, Diatomaceous Earth, Monosodium Phosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Dried Whole Milk, Choline Chloride,
Organic Aloe Vera Gel Concentrate, Organic Potato Starch, Organic Dehydrated Eggs, Organic
Sugar, Yeast Culture, Organic Lecithin, Vitamin B12, Potassium Chloride, Ethylenediamine
Dihydriodide, Niacin, Thiamine, Sodium Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Choline Citrate Complex,
Ferrous Sulfate, Ferric Choline Citrate Complex, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex,
Manganous Oxide, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin
D3, Natural Source of Vitamin E (d-alpha Tocopheryl acetate), Biotin, Riboflavin, Calcium
Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Carotene, Folic Acid, Cobalt Sulfate, Cobalt Choline
Citrate Complex, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum,
Enterococcus Faecium, Potassium Citrate, Citric Acid, Calcium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate,
Organic Sources of (Cayenne Pepper, Peppermint, Fabaceae Poaceae, Garlic, Parsley, Dandelion
Root Extract, Elder Flowers, Dandelion Extract, Ginger Extract, German Chamomile, Lemon Grass
Extract, Thyme, Sweet Fennel Extract, Sweet Basil, Sage, Cloves), Natural Tocopherols.)

Feeding Directions: Feed layer ration as a complete ration from 16 weeks of age or first egg
throughout the egg production cycle. Provide plenty of fresh water and free choice fortified oyster
shells.

BULK PRICES
PLEASE BRING YOUR OWN CONTAINER
(Prices are per pound)
Pick-up (with no weight minimum) = .53¢
Free Delivery (200 lb minimum) = .65¢
Delivery Fee (less than 200 lb) = $30.00
BE A HERO / FREE FEED
If you organize a group for a central drop-off for your friends and family you will get 50 lb of FREE FEED and all of you will receive a .10¢ per lb (.55¢ per lb) savings! We do require a minimum of 1000 lb for a central drop off.

Thanks COchix I might be interested in being a drop off for 1000 pounds.
What % protein is the feed, do you know? Is there more nutritional info? I only see the ingredients on the website.
Thanks.
mo

Thanks COchix I might be interested in being a drop off for 1000 pounds. 

What % protein is the feed, do you know? Is there more nutritional info? I only see the ingredients on the website.
Thanks.
mo

Umm I thought it was 16 or -17%, we would order 200 or 300 if there are multiple people and we get a good price. I thought I had the nutritional amounts but don't. If you would like you could email them or I could, the guy I have dealt with is Tim the owner and the guy that delivers the feed. Let me know either way, we had a good rapport so I have no issue making the contact. However, given your interest in being the drop point maybe you should. If you would like we can get the feed delivered here and people can pick up from here. Don't remembere where you are located.

Umm I thought it was 16 or -17%, we would order 200 or 300 if there are multiple people and we get a good price. I thought I had the nutritional amounts but don't. If you would like you could email them or I could, the guy I have dealt with is Tim the owner and the guy that delivers the feed. Let me know either way, we had a good rapport so I have no issue making the contact. However, given your interest in being the drop point maybe you should. If you would like we can get the feed delivered here and people can pick up from here. Don't remembere where you are located.
When you purchase such large quantities how do you store it? Now that we have 130 chicks, this might be a cost effective feed choice but need to figure out how to store it.

We bought a 55 gallon Steele drum with lid, we lined it with heavy duty black plastic trash bags and dumped the feed in. The lid is heavy so no critters can get in plus it is in s locked shed. I think we paid something like $20 for a 55 gallon drum from some place in Longmont, the feed is delivered in bags, since he is not certified organic, he has to bag the feed himself, they are 50 pound bags, he does the heavy lifting. We also have just storred he bags in the Steele drum as well. Hope that helps, if I remember correcte fthe drum held 200 - 250 pounds when opened and dumped in.

PS - back when my original flock just at the peak of their egg laying before last fall, I received 200# of feed, I fermented it for 28 birds and it lasted for 1 1/2 months. So fermenting does make it go further.

Our drum was like this....but blue

I just saw this, I think this is where we got the Steele drums, $20 but we got the heavy lids.they are in Lafayette.

https://boulder.craigslist.org/grd/5188569838.html

PS - a 5 gallon buckets holds roughly 25 # of feed. D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom