Colorado

It was @lomine
who found the lost eggs in the litter :)

I've identified the egg eater for sure. I have collected multiple eggs from that group today and she laid an egg in her container and.... ATE IT!

OK! That bird is definitely wired wrong. With a habit like that, she will become EXTINCT - (and so will all her emulators).

My daughter is staying with me here till Wednesday. She doesn't want me to kill the bird and process it while she's here, so it will spend the next several days in solitary with food and water then meet its end. That will also give me the time to absolutely confirm that she's the main egg eater.

My daughter is staying with me here till Wednesday. She doesn't want me to kill the bird and process it while she's here, so it will spend the next several days in solitary with food and water then meet its end. That will also give me the time to absolutely confirm that she's the main egg eater.

Glad you have gotten to the bottom of the egg eaters, that has been going on awhile. I am sure that is a relief to have figured it out.

Last edited:
Hello, new to the area and closing on my new house south of Wiggins this week. So, the Coop building will begin this weekend with chicks due the 28th!

I was looking at fencing for my run and it seems to me that Chain link would be a good option! It seems to be more than 2" X 4" welded wire, but cheaper than heavy Hardware cloth for sure! Let me know if I am wrong.

Also, it is PRAIRIE where I am buying with little trees around. What kind of predators can I expect? I am from a heavily wooded area and we have it all there. Possum, Raccoon, Coyotes, Owls, rat snakes and of course the pet cats and dogs. I am sure hawks and coyotes will be a concern here but what else should I expect?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Hello, new to the area and closing on my new house south of Wiggins this week. So, the Coop building will begin this weekend with chicks due the 28th!

I was looking at fencing for my run and it seems to me that Chain link would be a good option! It seems to be more than 2" X 4" welded wire, but cheaper than heavy Hardware cloth for sure! Let me know if I am wrong.

Also, it is PRARIE where I am buying with little trees around. What kind of predators can I expect? I am from a heavily wooded area and we have it all there. Possum, Raccoon, Coyotes, Owls, rat snakes and of course the pet cats and dogs. I am sure hawks and coyotes will be a concern here but what else should I expect?

Thanks for your help!

Greeting and :welcome. So your getting chicks? Of course it is chick fever around here cause it's spring. Lots of people getting chicks and hatching, what breeds are you getting?

Also on the chain link for the run, while it might be nice and cheap, I don't think I would use it for the run. The chicks are going to be small and will squeeze right through the gaps. Trust me we have chain link in the free range pens and when ours were younger we had many instances of them trying to squeeze through the fencing. Most the time I happened to see it or be around, so we got lucky. Had a few girls running from roosters and got their heads stuck in the fencing as young pullets. Probably would have ended poorly if I hadn't been around.

What brought you guys to Colorado?

I was looking at fencing for my run and it seems to me that Chain link would be a good option! It seems to be more than 2" X 4" welded wire, but cheaper than heavy Hardware cloth for sure! Let me know if I am wrong.

Also, it is PRARIE where I am buying with little trees around. What kind of predators can I expect? I am from a heavily wooded area and we have it all there. Possum, Raccoon, Coyotes, Owls, rat snakes and of course the pet cats and dogs. I am sure hawks and coyotes will be a concern here but what else should I expect?

Thanks for your help!

You can expect most everything you are used to with the exception of a possum. I havent seen any around colorado. They may be here but i havent seen any. You may encounter weasels also. Foxes,coyotes, raccoons, mountain lions, bob cats, hawks,owls, eagles, if you can imagine it we have it.
You can probably use chain link but will need to put some smaller wire around the bottom of it along the ground so the small chicks wont get out. Dont forget to dig a trench and lay some wire in it also so raccoons and coyoties wont dig under.
Welcome to the link and to colorado.

I was looking at fencing for my run and it seems to me that Chain link would be a good option! It seems to be more than 2" X 4" welded wire, but cheaper than heavy Hardware cloth for sure! Let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks for your help!

Howdy!
welcome-byc.gif

For My run I used field fence with a chicken wire inside attached to it. The young babies have their own small outside area with hardware cloth to keep them safe until they are big enough to go into the other area. Have fun and good luck!
Coyotes and hawks for sure. Maybe bobcats and other critters depending on how close you are to a water source.

Last edited:
Thanks all!

I figured since I am in the open prairie area I wouldn't have too many critters besides hawks and coyotes but I guess I may as well plan for the worst! I am transitioning from a DoD / Military job and that is what brought me here. I have 15 Dominique's on order from Cackle and will be raising them in a hardware cloth brooder pen with the MHP while the coop and run are being built. I wanted a hardy dual purpose breed, and since I am partially color blind they look plenty fancy to me! ;-)

I have done my homework and will have the hardware cloth trench no matter what I use for the main run and coop. If I do go with chain link for the run only I will put the chicken wire behind it at the bottom for sure. I am looking forward to giving my new post hole diggers a good work out this weekend!

Thanks all!

I figured since I am in the open prairie area I wouldn't have too many critters besides hawks and coyotes but I guess I may as well plan for the worst! I am transitioning from a DoD / Military job and that is what brought me here. I have 15 Dominique's on order from Cackle and will be raising them in a hardware cloth brooder pen with the MHP while the coop and run are being built. I wanted a hardy dual purpose breed, and since I am partially color blind they look plenty fancy to me! ;-)

I have done my homework and will have the hardware cloth trench no matter what I use for the main run and coop. If I do go with chain link for the run only I will put the chicken wire behind it at the bottom for sure. I am looking forward to giving my new post hole diggers a good work out this weekend!

Did the MHP brooder last year after incubating from our flock and loved it. Had the babies outside by day 7 in April. I am loading the bator this week and will be having the babies outside from the first day. What are you using for your frame?

Also if you haven't check out the MHP thread, the link is in my signature.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom