Colorado

Sorry @GJ_Kate I'm no help either. I only have mixed breed fertile chicken eggs. Though they would be called EEs and OEs since they would all lay blue, green, or olive eggs.

I've got a big batch in the incubator right now for the Easter HOL. I know from my candling last week that at least a few of them are fertile and developing. I'll be candling again tomorrow. I hope to be able to see something in the dark brown eggs. :fl

My quail have started laying but aren't up to regular speed. I think they are still stressed from being in the barn. They were so used to having a huge place to run around and now are stuck in a small cage. I managed to get the tarp from their run back in place but half of one side was ripped. I ordered some tarp tape and grommets in hopes that I can fix it instead of having to replace it. They should come today so it's on the agenda for the weekend. I also have to figure out how to fix the entrance panel. The wind not only pulled the section of chain-link fence up it also broke all the welded corners. I have a plan to replace it though and reinforce it so hopefully it won't happen again. I'm hoping the quail will increase their laying once settled again so I can put a big batch of eggs in the incubator.

Hi, I also live in Colorado in El Paso County. All my friends were surprised that i live in county limits but in the middle of Colorado Springs. :). It’s nice, if my neighbors don’t mind I can have as many chickens as I want. And the next door neighbor say they like the rooster!

Thanks y’all. I’m still pretty bummed out. I almost pulled out the incubator to make myself feel better! My TBI must be getting better because I stopped myself. :)

Hi,
Good morning.. (sad one) We lost our favorite silkie hen overnight. We still have another black silkie, but are in search of a new silkie hen to be her new buddy.
Any tips on birds would be appreciated
Thanks

Hello Coloradans! I'm in Leadville and just bought 10 baby chicks from TSC the past 2 weeks: 4 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Black sex linked, and 3 barred rock. We are going to build a 4x8 coop and large run soon and I'm going back and forth between a dirt floor or wood floor. We are planning on doing the deep litter method in the coop either way. Any advice from fellow Colorado chicken keepers is greatly appreciated! :) A little info on the coop area, it will be in the NE corner of our property under a large spruce tree, so it stays relatively dry even during the winter months. Monsoon season in July/Aug is my only concern, but even then the ground dries pretty fast.

Back
Top Bottom