Colorado

If you are still thinking about another gander, I am planning on attending the tiny home show at PPR next weekend. Don't have firm plans but fri is my first choice. PM me if you want to talk about it.
Thanks - but we've pretty much decided we can't manage another one. At this point we don't have enough grass for even one, and he keeps us on our toes all the time. Thanks, though.

Buy a bale of grass hay to supplement what grass you have. Place a flake in a milk crate and hang it on the fence. Mine will eat alfalfa but they prefer a fine stem grass. Romaine lettuce is their favorite but even buying the 6 packs at Costco gets expensive.

Buy a bale of grass hay to supplement what grass you have. Place a flake in a milk crate and hang it on the fence. Mine will eat alfalfa but they prefer a fine stem grass. Romaine lettuce is their favorite but even buying the 6 packs at Costco gets expensive.
Thanks for the ideas! I picked up some timothy hay. I'm going to find a crate and hang it today. I know what you mean about Romaine lettuce - he absolutely LOVES it, but it's a bit pricey. I give him the trimmings from Romaine and iceberg as a treat.

I'm new here and just thought I'd say hi from Grand Junction CO. Here's a couple shots of my chickens just for fun.

Attachments

• 20190723_202605.jpg
    20190723_202605.jpg
    698.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190723_195838.jpg
    20190723_195838.jpg
    845.3 KB · Views: 4
696DAF42-658F-4BC5-91FD-BEA07AAD0B93.jpeg

With the help of the posts here (and the vet trimming his beak), Boo Radley is still going strong! We are trying the “oatmeal” crumbles in a bowl and Boo is a very enthusiastic eater. He and his brother, Crowley, have figured out how to sneak out of their pen and are always waiting for me to feed them in the morning.
7F34A59C-C715-4AE2-8AA5-A222F1A24DB1.jpeg

(This is Crowley and Honey Badger)

I hope everyone is having a good summer!

Hey all! New to this thread, but not byc or chickens. Lol. Moved to colorado a little over a year ago and finally decided to get into chickens again. As of right now I've got 3 RIRs and 1 australorp and 29 in the bator. Whatever hatches will be split with my neighbor who supplied the eggs. Anyone have any high altitude hatching advice for up here? I just posted over 9n incubating and hatching, but figured I pop over here and talk to the locals. Were on day 19 now and in lockdown, so it's too late to do anything now, I'm just looking for advice for the next time....

Hey all! New to this thread, but not byc or chickens. Lol. Moved to colorado a little over a year ago and finally decided to get into chickens again. As of right now I've got 3 RIRs and 1 australorp and 29 in the bator. Whatever hatches will be split with my neighbor who supplied the eggs. Anyone have any high altitude hatching advice for up here? I just posted over 9n incubating and hatching, but figured I pop over here and talk to the locals. Were on day 19 now and in lockdown, so it's too late to do anything now, I'm just looking for advice for the next time....
Watch your air cells... if your eggs came from the same elevation you are incubating at then your chances are better....I have read of many folks at lower elevations hatching dry here on the western slope that doesn't work well.... candle and trace your air cells and then adjust humidity accordingly. Remember to keep All air vents open at all times as the air up here has less oxygen than lower elevations.
375.gif
this is one of my favorite candling guides. If you air cells are growing too fast raise your humidity if they are growing too slow lower it. Very simple but requires some tinkering to get it figured out... I even have to adjust when moving from one room to another with my incubator. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom