Colorado

We're not building Ft Knox........We're building super duper Ft Smith! Instead of hardware cloth around the perimeter, we're going to be using scrap chain link fencing that we got for free!

lol.png

I saw an ad on Craigslist this morning for fencing at $75 is you take it down. Wire and posts, the whole mess. Wish I was ready for that already.....

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm not sure you can ever find hardware cloth cheap, but while in Fort Collins/Wellington a couple of weekends back, I saw bulk machine fabric at the Ace Hardware store. It was priced by the foot, and was cheaper than what we paid for a 25' roll at Lowes the week before.

Is there anyone out in Colorado country, western slope preferably, that has any turkeys? We have found some snakes just toooooo close to our home and I am not a fan of guinees. I hope it isn't too late in the year. I have no breed preference except no whites. Since we have no plans to butcher and I know those white ones can tip the scales. I think younger the better to adjust to a new environment. We do have dogs but I think the turkeys will be tougher than they are. I have calls and chicken but they will be kept in their own enclosures and the turkey will be free range. Thanks for the help.

We just got some great, healthy pullets from a guy in Dove Creek, CO. He had some turkeys that just hatched recently. Not sure if he is selling, or what kind, but worth a shot. Super nice guy too. PM me if you are interested in phone #.

I have a single little blue silkie chick available locally for $5. Its too young to tell gender, hatched 8/4/11. Has a vaulted skull, proper 5 toes per foot but not the toe separation I'd prefer for a breeder. Will make a sweet pet. Best to contact by email rather than pm
can meet in the Golden area, preferably Golden Feed Mill.
17059_dsc05937.jpg
17059_dsc05936.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard multiple stories from both current times to the days gone by that turkeys were just the best at snake control. We live in a semi desert area of nw colorado and have had two snakes in the yard. Way! to close with young kids. I was going to do peafowl but my DH was no thrilled with the noise they make. I thought I would give the turkeys a try. The best they can do is keep my yard and family safe or worst they can do is be yard art. I have also read that they will kill possums. Impressive!

Back
Top Bottom