Colorado

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks Shylee we did that last year and it was a great learning experience. The judge took explained how they judge each bird and how to use the Standard of Perfection. It is a smaller show so a great way to learn about showing poultry. We already have something going on that weekend or we would do it again.

Quote:
I'm not sure you can ever find hardware cloth cheap, but while in Fort Collins/Wellington a couple of weekends back, I saw bulk machine fabric at the Ace Hardware store. It was priced by the foot, and was cheaper than what we paid for a 25' roll at Lowes the week before.

For forest and wilderness dwellers, I always recommend durable 1/2" x 1/2" mesh, as weasels can go thru a hole the size of a quarter. $127 for a 4' x 100' roll is the lowest price I've found (I believe that was at Stockyards Ranch Supply in Commerce City).

I've tried the bird netting...but it isn't very durable...raccoons can get into it and the plastic degrades over a season or two.

Quote:
My favorite high-altitude/"winter" breeds are Norwegian Jaerhons and then also Ameraucanas and/or Easter-Eggers. I don't have any to offer you myself right now but will next season if you are interested.

Quote:
alpinefarm,

How do the Jaerhorns do in the hot summers down at lower elevation (5000 ft) and are they good layers?

Thanks!

-DB

They are very good layers. Our elevation is 8400' and so our summers are cool and winters downright arctic, but I've had them laying year-round.

I've got little "colonies" of my Jaerhons all over the country now...Alaska, TX, North Carolina, Idaho, Massachusets, etc. and the reports are good that they are adaptable to various climates and elevations. They seem to do especially well on whole-grain feed (rather than commercial pellets).

Back
Top Bottom