Colorado

My girls won't touch sprouts!
hit.gif
You can buy a 5lb bucket of bean sprouts on amazon for like $25, so I did because I was hoping to use them as a winter treat but they just pecked at them once and then moved on. How I got suck picky little spoiled brats I will never know but they don't eat much outside there food and sometimes they will turn up there nose to foods that are there favorites.

Come December & January....that'll change. They'll gobble down anything green.

Ordered chicks from Ideal this week. Was expecting them this morning and they didnt arrive. OMG. Am at work see a voicemail at 6pm. Its my chicks they ended up in Alamosa which is the opposite direction of where I live six hours away and that they are back in Denver and asking if I wanted to pick them up. Hubby on his way to pick them up now in Denver. I know one of them for sure has gone to the rainbow bridge bless her little heart. See how many are still alive when I get home.

I hope that all goes well for these little ones.

does anyone know of a you pick orchard thats close to me? I'm loveland/fort collins. I've been looking for one to take my kids to. I used to love doing that in the fall back home.
I found a place called ya ya farms but they are done with the you pick already. Some of their mid sept apples were done 2 wks ago! Everything is coming in soooo early.

LOL, my girls love the fact that my garden is so overgrown that they are always getting weeds, oversized squash, bird bit tomatoes, overripe strawberries, ad infinitum. The trouble with a harvestable garden is that since I'm single, I either give most of it away, or just don't get around to harvesting/canning every day, so there is LOTS of waste for chicken treats. I haven't found anything they won't eat yet, except they only seem to play with squash plant leaves. I don't blame them as I come out of the garden so itchy from walking around in it I have to think the same thing that irritates my skin might irritate theirs too.

I completely understand - last year I planted a pumpkin plant just because it was 50 cents on the sale rack at Lowe's, and OMG, it became The Plant That Ate The Garden! Gave some away, but wound up cooking the rest and freezing it, even though I knew I would only use a tiny bit. Turns out the girls think thawed cooked pumpkin is delicious, so that is getting my freezer cleaned out finally :) One year I had a copy paper box filled with green tomatoes in my utility room for two weeks waiting for me to get the time to stew and freeze them - I have never canned, no idea how, so I just freeze everything. One of these days I really should learn how to can.

What I have been studying lately is how to ensure a supply of healthy treats through the winter, so started reading the mealworm farming thread last night, and have been thinking of getting a yogurt maker. I am also thinking of seeding in some kale and beets and turnips, even though it's really late, and hope for the best - I have the seed anyway, so it isn't going to cost more than time to re-weed the beds and water. Might try the sprouts as suggested earlier as well. What does everyone else do to keep the cluckers and crowers happy all winter?

Way windy this morning! Hope all who are at the fair today and tomorrow have a great time!

Started building my chicken evaluation box. When finished, this will go on top of the digital scale I have, we will then check each weight, compare with the breed standard, etc. It measures 18" high X 18" long X 12 " deep. It will have a gate on one end, and be covered in wire screen or mesh. It will be painted white, and on the inside of the back it will have 1" grid lines, and 45* lines. This it to aid in comparing to breed standard.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes on the baby chicks. So far just the one fatality. Bless my husband for picking up the chicks so late last night. Only seeing one this morning that isn't doing so well. I've been giving her some one-on-one time and it has seemed to help. She almost looks older then the rest since everyone still has their egg beak and she doesn't. She drank a lot of water and 20 minutes later she was able to move out of the way when another chick came her way. Before she would just lie there and not move. So hoping for her quick recovery.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes on the baby chicks. So far just the one fatality. Bless my husband for picking up the chicks so late last night. Only seeing one this morning that isn't doing so well. I've been giving her some one-on-one time and it has seemed to help. She almost looks older then the rest since everyone still has their egg beak and she doesn't. She drank a lot of water and 20 minutes later she was able to move out of the way when another chick came her way. Before she would just lie there and not move. So hoping for her quick recovery.

I am sorry for the one loss and hope the others pull through.

Back
Top Bottom