Colorado

Hi Everyone- This is somewhat chicken related... We recently moved out to Byers and the kiddos would like to join a 4-H group. There are a few different groups in this area and we attended an orientation meeting today for a group in Strasburg. The kids are very excited about joining but the $35 for each kid has me really thinking. (Normally $70 isn't a big deal but money is tight right now with the house renovation, etc.) My nine year old daughter wants to do chickens, sheep (a totally new experience for all of us), and archery. My little boy is seven so he's too young for animal projects but will still participate as a "Cloverbud". I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with 4-H?

Hi Everyone- This is somewhat chicken related... We recently moved out to Byers and the kiddos would like to join a 4-H group. There are a few different groups in this area and we attended an orientation meeting today for a group in Strasburg. The kids are very excited about joining but the $35 for each kid has me really thinking. (Normally $70 isn't a big deal but money is tight right now with the house renovation, etc.) My nine year old daughter wants to do chickens, sheep (a totally new experience for all of us), and archery. My little boy is seven so he's too young for animal projects but will still participate as a "Cloverbud". I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with 4-H?
I'm sure I met you tonight, or at the very least heard your introductions. :) I'm the leader of the Cloverbuds (Shannon). We've only done 4-H for a year, and this is our first year of the older kid 4-H, but it has been a lot of fun so far. Our reason for getting involved was two-fold. The first reason was so our daughters had an activity outside of school, but wasn't just sports. There is enough emphasis put on the sports out here, that I have no doubt in my mind that she'll play something when she gets older. All the other activities outside of school (dancing, music, cheer, etc) are so darned expensive, that $70 for they year isn't bad at all. The second reason was to be able to meet people in the community. We tend to keep to ourselves and aren't church goers so we knew we needed to find something to get us out there.

The chicken leader is great, she's really nice and full of knowledge. When we first got our chickens we went to the chicken meetings just to learn some more about the chickens even though my daughter was still a Cloverbud. If you can't afford to pay for both of them this year, your son is definitely welcome to join us for the Cloverbud activities and fake it through the year. It just means that he wont be able to show anything at the fair or get the cloverbud books (not missing much with the books). My younger daughter will be doing that because she's too young to start this year but old enough to want to do it.

First egg!!!!!!! My Black Aystralorp (lil sis) just laid her first egg. I was outing feeding and talking to them when I noticed she went back in the coop. I waited and she came back out - no signing or talking. I casually walked over to the nesting boxes and skipped the first ones (it had two golf balls anda plastic egg) and looked in the other two nest. Straw moved around but no egg, but as I was closing the door I glanced at the first nesting box and there was a beautiful pink/tan egg. I touched it and it was still warm. Had to run inside with it and wake up the kids to show them. :D Tracie

First egg!!!!!!!
My Black Aystralorp (lil sis) just laid her first egg. I was outing feeding and talking to them when I noticed she went back in the coop. I waited and she came back out - no signing or talking. I casually walked over to the nesting boxes and skipped the first ones (it had two golf balls anda plastic egg) and looked in the other two nest. Straw moved around but no egg, but as I was closing the door I glanced at the first nesting box and there was a beautiful pink/tan egg. I touched it and it was still warm. Had to run inside with it and wake up the kids to show them.
big_smile.png

Tracie
NICE! the first egg is always exciting!

First egg!!!!!!!
My Black Aystralorp (lil sis) just laid her first egg. I was outing feeding and talking to them when I noticed she went back in the coop. I waited and she came back out - no signing or talking. I casually walked over to the nesting boxes and skipped the first ones (it had two golf balls anda plastic egg) and looked in the other two nest. Straw moved around but no egg, but as I was closing the door I glanced at the first nesting box and there was a beautiful pink/tan egg. I touched it and it was still warm. Had to run inside with it and wake up the kids to show them.
big_smile.png

Tracie
Congrats! Are you going to eat it or blow it out and save it? I had planned on saving our first small one from each bird but my husband had omelet ideas and I didn't communicate very well. I wanted to make the blown out eggs into Christmas ornaments.

First egg!!!!!!!
big_smile.png

Tracie

The first egg is the most memorable...good job.
cool.png

Brrrrr! 11* F this morning! All's well in the hen house,and the homemade waterer heater working fine, no frozen water in the coop.
How did you make yours?
I put mine in service yesterday.... working great.
I used the cookie tins and installed a 100 watt lamp in them. I set the tins on a stone block, then set the 3 gal. waters on the heater. Wife checked them as soon as daylight came...cool water, but nothing frozen!

Joe

First egg!!!!!!! My Black Aystralorp (lil sis) just laid her first egg. I was outing feeding and talking to them when I noticed she went back in the coop. I waited and she came back out - no signing or talking. I casually walked over to the nesting boxes and skipped the first ones (it had two golf balls anda plastic egg) and looked in the other two nest. Straw moved around but no egg, but as I was closing the door I glanced at the first nesting box and there was a beautiful pink/tan egg. I touched it and it was still warm. Had to run inside with it and wake up the kids to show them. :D Tracie
Congratulations! It's beautiful! My girls' waterer was frozen solid this morning. We have been using their chick waterer to swap out periodically but it might be time to spring for a heated one.

Back
Top Bottom