Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

I just saw this auto chicken feeder on you tube. Thought it was interesting. Any comments from the experienced?

This is their website
  2. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Great video :) Sure seems like a reasonable idea - I wonder how long it takes them to learn how to use it?
  3. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

Website says a coupla days. You basically take all other food away, seed the tray where the food would fall til they figure it out.

I like the idea, might solve my 'pellets turning into dust' in the feeder problem.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  4. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

Cold...Cold...COLD!!! These last few days. Waterers have been frozen solid, so I started bringing them in at night. I put them on a thick towel by the back door. I take them out each morning when I go out to open things up and check on the girls.

It has been COLD.
  5. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Frost over here is so thick I thought for a moment it had snowed.
  6. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Instead of bringing the waterers in, because they're too heavy, I take out a jug of warm water and dump that over the frozen water.
  7. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

The biggest complaint I had while a kid and raising chickens, was hauling water out to the chicken coop every morning before school, and every afternoon, no matter the temperature, no matter the weather. ...........Through 10 feet of snow, up-hill both ways too....[​IMG]. I can't count the times I got water sloshed all over my pants and didn't have time to change into dry clothes before the bus arrived. It took many years for me to realize that there might be another, perhaps better, way........

Yesterday morning my youngest went out to get eggs and check on things. The turkey's water was frozen solid. Hannah had anticipated this, and already had a jug of fresh water with her. The hen house water was not frozen, and all was good. I love my waterer heater! It and the feeder are big enough that they get re-filled twice a week, whether they need it or not.

What a difference a day makes! Yesterday the low at the house ended up being 9* F, this morning when I left for work it was 30* F.
  8. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    Lol, up hill both ways? How awful!:D
    We're still waiting on an estimate from the electrician to re-wire our barn. It's all ready got the power from the house, but the previous owner tore up all the wiring inside the barn. Lucky us. I can't wait for heated waterers though.
    I also want to run water to the barn as well. Would be a lot easier then the fifty feet of hose I drag over there now.
  9. jgurshtein

jgurshtein Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Do you have links or contact information for the sources you mention? We got our chicken license this weekend and I'm now in the process of acquiring coop materials and finalizing the building plans! :)
  10. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats on the license!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by