Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ShysCreations

ShysCreations Chillin' With My Peeps

That's awesome you're considering 4H!! I was in Elbert County for 10 years and loved the experience. My sisters & I showed nearly every livestock type at some point and some of the other crafty projects. 4H involves kids in the community, gives them responsibility, record keeping and public speaking experience. $70 isn't bad for a whole year. When you have a good leader, it makes for a good experience. Does Aimee lead at Strasburg? She does in Deer Trail and she's a very sweet lady!

2. wattsjadajoe

wattsjadajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Avondale, Colorado
    My Coop
    Whoo Hoo!!!

Just confirmed my February order for 2013!!!!

Got 39 more girls coming!!!!!

(21 going to a friend) Total order of 50-- mixed breeds!!!
    More Barred Rocks, Red Stars, Gold Wyandotte, Silver Wyandotte and Susses!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe

3. coloradogal

coloradogal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I do the same thing.

[​IMG]

Congrats!

4. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    now that i have added some extra light and the temps have gotten colder i have my speckled sussex trying to sleep in the nesting box [​IMG] any idea how to get her to stop? i can't block them off very easily

5. kmatt87

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    with the cold i had a little frost bite on the comb of my production red. guess i am going to need to put vaseline on them next time temps get into the low teens.

6. kmatt87

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    jealous! i want more!

7. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Hmm, I wonder if she wants a sleeping cubby? Do you have room in the coop to give her a box or crate to sleep in that could maybe even be taken out in the morning? Or maybe a lower, wider perch just barely above the nest box? Just taking shots in the dark, I have no idea :)

8. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    LOL me too! Spring is just around the corner :) I've been thinking about brooding more chicks than I really need and selling the started chicks, probably just pullets because so few people want or can have roosters and they are STILL on Craigslist free or close to it. DH thinks I don't have time, but to me it never seemed to take that much time. Am I completely mis-remembering?

9. WendyGeisler

WendyGeisler Chillin' With My Peeps

as a newbee... how can you tell if there is frostbite? Does the comb look different?

10. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

They get black spots on their combs. That's why I like more of the pea comb birds. They are less likely to get frostbite than the breeds with tall skinny combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by