Colorado

Hi Everyone- This is somewhat chicken related... We recently moved out to Byers and the kiddos would like to join a 4-H group. There are a few different groups in this area and we attended an orientation meeting today for a group in Strasburg. The kids are very excited about joining but the $35 for each kid has me really thinking. (Normally $70 isn't a big deal but money is tight right now with the house renovation, etc.) My nine year old daughter wants to do chickens, sheep (a totally new experience for all of us), and archery. My little boy is seven so he's too young for animal projects but will still participate as a "Cloverbud". I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with 4-H?
That's awesome you're considering 4H!! I was in Elbert County for 10 years and loved the experience. My sisters & I showed nearly every livestock type at some point and some of the other crafty projects. 4H involves kids in the community, gives them responsibility, record keeping and public speaking experience. $70 isn't bad for a whole year. When you have a good leader, it makes for a good experience. Does Aimee lead at Strasburg? She does in Deer Trail and she's a very sweet lady!

Whoo Hoo!!!

Just confirmed my February order for 2013!!!!

Got 39 more girls coming!!!!!

(21 going to a friend) Total order of 50-- mixed breeds!!!
More Barred Rocks, Red Stars, Gold Wyandotte, Silver Wyandotte and Susses!!!

wee.gif

woot.gif
yesss.gif

pop.gif

Joe

Instead of bringing the waterers in, because they're too heavy, I take out a jug of warm water and dump that over the frozen water.
I do the same thing.

The biggest complaint I had while a kid and raising chickens, was hauling water out to the chicken coop every morning before school, and every afternoon, no matter the temperature, no matter the weather. ...........Through 10 feet of snow, up-hill both ways too....
sickbyc.gif
. I can't count the times I got water sloshed all over my pants and didn't have time to change into dry clothes before the bus arrived. It took many years for me to realize that there might be another, perhaps better, way........

goodpost.gif

Do you have links or contact information for the sources you mention? We got our chicken license this weekend and I'm now in the process of acquiring coop materials and finalizing the building plans! :)

Congrats!

now that i have added some extra light and the temps have gotten colder i have my speckled sussex trying to sleep in the nesting box
he.gif
any idea how to get her to stop? i can't block them off very easily

now that i have added some extra light and the temps have gotten colder i have my speckled sussex trying to sleep in the nesting box
he.gif
any idea how to get her to stop? i can't block them off very easily

Hmm, I wonder if she wants a sleeping cubby? Do you have room in the coop to give her a box or crate to sleep in that could maybe even be taken out in the morning? Or maybe a lower, wider perch just barely above the nest box? Just taking shots in the dark, I have no idea :)

jealous! i want more!

LOL me too! Spring is just around the corner :) I've been thinking about brooding more chicks than I really need and selling the started chicks, probably just pullets because so few people want or can have roosters and they are STILL on Craigslist free or close to it. DH thinks I don't have time, but to me it never seemed to take that much time. Am I completely mis-remembering?

Back
Top Bottom