Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. WendyGeisler

WendyGeisler Chillin' With My Peeps

2. dennarahl

dennarahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    It's Mrs. Fluffybutt!!!!! :) She looks just like my blue cochin. If someone handed me this pic and said it was my girl, I'd agree.

3. dennarahl

dennarahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    Looks neat. I'd have to rethink the plate underneath because my geese would run off with it. I'd also worry about some of my mentally challenged birds playing with it and wasting the food.

4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

I am not sure what the official treatment is, if anything I would put neosporin on the spots to try and stave off infection. Otherwise just slather on the Vaseline to prevent more damage.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  5. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

We need to remember though, that some black spots on a comb may be just a scab from an injury of some sort. I noticed that I was getting some on my cockerels' combs and watched to find out what was up. They were sparring and when one would get pecked on the comb, within a day or so he would develop have a small black spot in the pecked area. It would also be gone in a few days, and all would be red again. Severe frostbite can indeed result in infections if they frostbite is severe. It has also been shown that single combs are more proned to frostbite; also cold + moisture/humidity can lead to more frostbite. Our BR roosters (while growing up in the 70's) would nearly always get some frostbite on the tips of their combs. Of course, my dad kept them inside a draft/ventilation free coop all winter too...... Bad flock management, but he didn't know, and neither did I at the time. The coop floor was so wet the bedding would squish when walked on. It was disgusting. Don't get me started on the smell.......

6. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice!

Pretty soon you can open your own Chicken zoo.... [​IMG]

7. Actually

Actually Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
  8. mynamesjenelle

mynamesjenelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO

My girls' combs are so dry that I've been putting on Bag Balm for the last couple months. I read that it keeps them moisturized, is mildly antiseptic, protects from cold, and also tastes bad so they won't peck each other on the head as often. So far so good but they hate it when I apply to their little noggins. They look so pretty after it's done though.

Hey Wendell, I really liked your water heater design. I'm waffling between building something similar or just buying a premade one. What would you recommend that I use since I don't have access to a hydraulic fluid can? I was thinking a 5 gallon bucket if the bulb isn't too hot, but heat+plastic always makes me concerned.

9. pichuris

pichuris Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Strasburg Colorado
    I LOVE 4-H!!! I grew up in 4-H. Not only do they get the skills that we need as adults & young adults they also have amazing benefits. Some of them are traveling (fully paid) and scholarships for college that only 4-H members are eligible for.
    Which 4-H group is this one? Several years ago even before my kids I went to a 4-H group to volunteer and just wondered if its the same one. I live in Strasburg. It would be nice to start with someone I know even if its someone I met online. [​IMG]

10. mynamesjenelle

mynamesjenelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO

How did you get involved in 4-H as a volunteer? I looked into it over the summer and I couldn't find any groups with information about volunteering other than getting your kids involved, and I don't have any children. I really love what 4-H does for the next generation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by