1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. wattsjadajoe

wattsjadajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    Avondale, Colorado
    My Coop
    Yea...the cookie tins at Sams that are out this time of year work great!! And the girls will love the cookies!!!
    You can also use the popcorn tins...but they are taller and will need cut down.

Joe

2. WendyGeisler

WendyGeisler Chillin' With My Peeps

so today... one of my smaller chickies didn't want to come out of the coop... I thought that was strange at 8:30 because all of the other girls were out, but then I came home at checked at 1:00 and she was still in the coop. Is this something I should worry about? I would say Butterscotch is sort of the low bird on the totem pole, but she has 3 other younger chickies that she hangs out with. I took her out of the coop and she immediately went and hung out with her little group. She wasn't hurt that I could tell, nothing I could see was wrong. And it's nice out today... almost 50 degrees here. Any ideas?

Also... while I was outside checking the flock dynamics I decided to clean the coop too. My 3 older girls would not stay out. The more I tried to clean, the more in the way they got. Ugh!!!

3. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Hey, fowl pox can also give the birds black spots. It is pretty common and almost never serious, but occasionally it can get bad. Frostbite usually turns the ends (points) of the combs black.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

I seem to remember a post a while back about a squirrel steeling eggs. The more winter sets in the more desperate they will become.

5. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

It's good that she is out and about now. The only time I have had a bird refuse to leave the coop for that long of a period she turned out to be very ill. Just from my experience I would give her a thorough check for if she is loosing weight or has strange bumps anywhere. Of course, she could just be an odd ball. :) :p

6. WendyGeisler

WendyGeisler Chillin' With My Peeps

time for a photo session!

7. dennarahl

dennarahl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    Ive seen other people use the really big cookie tins or the popcorn tins. This is an easy time of year to find them too!

8. dennarahl

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    It might be.. We're in Antelope Crossing.

9. dennarahl

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    I'd talk to the organizational leader of the clubs nearest you and see if they have need for someone. I'm sure they do. We have a few adults without children who lead some projects. There kids may have went through the club before, I'm not sure.

10. dennarahl

Jan 25, 2012
    Colorado
    I've only had that happen once. I did the same as you and took her out and she ran around. I was outside for a while and saw her go in and start her egg song. Turns out she needed to lay a BIG egg (It was even big for a double yolker). She was probably hurting enough that she didn't want to jump off the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by