Colorado

DH just applied for a job in Washington, D.C. Part of me hopes he gets it as it would guarantee continued employment after he is out of the army but part of me really doesn't want it as I'd have to give up the ladies and live in an apartment. :/ I don't even know if there are areas around there that allow chickens. I will probably keep stressing until we get an answer. They closed applications and are reviewing now. It would be 5 months from now before he'd be filling the position but yeesh. We talked about possibly moving to Utah or even, briefly, Kansas. DC came out of the blue but the job was a perfect match for him so he applied.

DH just applied for a job in Washington, D.C. Part of me hopes he gets it as it would guarantee continued employment after he is out of the army but part of me really doesn't want it as I'd have to give up the ladies and live in an apartment.
hmm.png
I don't even know if there are areas around there that allow chickens. I will probably keep stressing until we get an answer. They closed applications and are reviewing now. It would be 5 months from now before he'd be filling the position but yeesh. We talked about possibly moving to Utah or even, briefly, Kansas. DC came out of the blue but the job was a perfect match for him so he applied.
Good luck on the Job! Perhaps you;ll be able to find somewhere you can have the chickens if he gets it.

DH just applied for a job in Washington, D.C. Part of me hopes he gets it as it would guarantee continued employment after he is out of the army but part of me really doesn't want it as I'd have to give up the ladies and live in an apartment.
hmm.png
I don't even know if there are areas around there that allow chickens. I will probably keep stressing until we get an answer. They closed applications and are reviewing now. It would be 5 months from now before he'd be filling the position but yeesh. We talked about possibly moving to Utah or even, briefly, Kansas. DC came out of the blue but the job was a perfect match for him so he applied.

D.C.
Washington D.C. Section 902 of the Animal Control Code requires hens to be 50 ft. from any residence. Citizens are currently working to eliminate the 50 ft. rule, and to modify the requirement that you have to get written consent from all your neighbors before you keep chickens. Currently, chickens are neither legal nor expressly illegal in D.C.

http://thecitychicken.com/chickenlaws.html

Collection of chicken laws - may or may not be current

And for MD:

MD
Anne Arundel County, MD. No livestock or domestic fowl on lots smaller than 40,000 sq ft. Combinations of fowl must not exceed the ratio of 1 bird unit (= 32 chickens) per 40,000 sq ft. All fowl must be kept within a fenced area. Accessory structures for fowl and manure storage must be at least 50 ft. from side and rear lot lines.
Baltimore County, MD. Must have 1 acre of land to have poultry.
Baltimore City, MD. Up to four chickens can be kept (no roosters) as long as they are confined to a moveable pen that is kept 25 feet away from all residences.
Baltimore City, MD. You can have up to for hens, no roosters, must have a permit.
Prince George's County, MD. Does not permit chickens to be kept in these residential zones: R-E, R-1, R-2, R-3. As of Feb. 2012, there are plans to revise the zoning ordinance to permit a limited number of chickens in residential subdivisions.
Rockville, MD. Chickens are not allowed; neither are ducks, goats, or anything
primarily kept on a farm.

I certainly am glad I live in the sticks. Always have been, just more so than ever this year :)

I wish I was home......

I should be there by about 2:30 this afternoon. Aren't free Things nice?

They are the BEST! :) He brought me one a few weeks ago that we painted and cut a couple of doors in so the local cottontails have a shelter in bad weather (what can I say, DH is a major softie) but so far the only living thing to have been inside is my red hen :) If the bunnies never use it, it's the perfect size for a broody ...

And for MD:

MD
Anne Arundel County, MD. No livestock or domestic fowl on lots smaller than 40,000 sq ft.  Combinations of fowl must not exceed the ratio of 1 bird unit (= 32 chickens) per 40,000 sq ft. All fowl must be kept within a fenced area. Accessory structures for fowl and manure storage must be at least 50 ft. from side and rear lot lines.

Baltimore County, MD.  Must have 1 acre of land to have poultry.

Baltimore City, MD.  Up to four chickens can be kept (no roosters) as long as they are confined  to a moveable pen that is kept 25 feet away from all residences.

Baltimore City, MD.  You can have up to for hens, no roosters, must have a permit.

Prince George's County, MD.   Does not permit chickens to be kept in these residential zones: R-E, R-1, R-2, R-3.  As of Feb. 2012, there are plans to revise the zoning ordinance to permit a limited number of chickens in residential subdivisions.

Rockville, MD.  Chickens are not allowed; neither are ducks, goats, or anything

primarily kept on a farm.

I certainly am glad I live in the sticks.  Always have been, just more so than ever this year :)

Thanks! Good to know. Now just to find out the exact address of the job and look at commute times...

Thanks! Good to know. Now just to find out the exact address of the job and look at commute times...

I don't know what to hope for, so I guess I'll say that whatever happens is going to work out great for your family! I'm a glass half full sort, and it sounds like this would be a good job - and it could be really exciting to live near DC. I've only been there once, but there was a TON of stuff to do for little or no $, and the Cherry Blossom Festival time of year is just beautiful.

HI Everyone!!!

My husband got out the military and got a job in Colorado. We are moving to Ft. Collins right after Christmas. We are hoping to find a home to rent in the Poudre School district, that is also is dog and chicken friendly. I have been dreaming about having chickens for over a year now. Done all my research, just doesnt seem to be that many rural or chicken friendly rentals out there. I was hoping that if you knew an good place to look?

We need a 3 or 4 bedroom.
We have four kids and a beagle.
Our budget is up to 1350.

ANy insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much

Back
Top Bottom