Colorado

Wow Wendall your chicken area is amazing:D
How much land do you have and how much for your chickens? Truly amazing.
My black australorp -lil sis has laid 5 of the last 6 days and today my Ancona - panda also started laying! Whoo!!
Tracie

FREE ROOSTER: sliver laced wyandotte. He hatched this year and is beautiful and big and not aggressive to people but wants to mate constantly. I have seven hens and he pesters them too much. He may need more room too than I'm able to give but he is a gorgeous bird. I'm in Parker.

PM me or email through my profile and we can talk terms. Again he's free and if you want to eat him that's up to you. Got him to protect the flock but he's just too much for my girls.

Last edited:
We moved 10 chickens out of the garage to live with the big chickens. 2 roos and 8 pullets. Other than a few minor shows of dominance (pecking and small spats) it seems to have gone well. I was the most worried about the geese trying to kill the intruders, but they were pretty well behaved. I think it went so well because they've been free ranging together for about 2 months. I was really surprised after the first rooster wasn't going to be ok out there, that the next two were. One of them is the son if the head rooster and a pre-hormonal teenager, so I was pretty sure he'd be ok. The 2nd one surprised me that he got along so well. It was great until bedtime, when all the new chickens wouldn't go to bed in the coop. We had to chase and grab them all. That was fun, NOT!

There's four babies and their mama, Bowie, and 3 roosters that will be joining the keeper flock later. The babies need to be older before they move out there because of the layer feed. When does everyone else allow their chicks to eat layer feed?

Eventually, our total will be 27 hens and 8 roos. All of the roos but one will live in the bachelor pad (old coop) and the girls will all move over to the new coop. I'm hoping to set up a mating free coop where I can put the girls who I want to breed with specific roosters. I'm hoping the bachelor pad idea works out. I've got some really pretty boys that I'd hate to lose.

Tomorrow we'll be putting the chicken door on the new coop and start putting up the fence. I'm hoping we can get the fence done this weekend, I'd really love to get everyone in their new homes.

I guess it was The Day To Get Things Done here in Colorado :) We FINALLY got our new coop enclosed, took the two small coops out of the run and added chain link panels, got the ramp attached, and of course at bedtime I had to put all the girls in because it is a new house and they don't know that's where they live now :) Tomorrow we have to put the chain link roof on the pen - lifting, unrolling and attaching a 10' x 14' length of chain link should prove interesting for us two old fogies, but hey, we've gotten this far :) I told Bob if it starts to look like we won't get it done I'll run up to Lowe's and buy a large tarp so they're covered while we're gone, and we'll tackle it next weekend, but I think we can get it done as long as the dimensions match.
fl.gif

I still think it's funny that we already discuss the next building project for chickens :) Just got a price list from Tony Albritton in Idaho, after several recommended him for Speckled Sussex. Plan to get some from him in spring. Can't wait!

How did you get involved in 4-H as a volunteer? I looked into it over the summer and I couldn't find any groups with information about volunteering other than getting your kids involved, and I don't have any children. I really love what 4-H does for the next generation.

Sorry for the delay hate my new shift.
call your local county extension office or google colorado extension office. You can see the counties and the clubs and can download the application to be a volunteer. Hth

That's an amazing set up! I wish I had the money to have a set up that nice. I'm hoping eventually it will be, but we have to do a piece at a time and the chicken money is all gone this year.
This has been an ongoing three year project to get to this point. We were fortunate to get a good tax return last year that was unexpected.

Last edited:
Wow Wendall your chicken area is amazing:D
How much land do you have and how much for your chickens? Truly amazing.
My black australorp -lil sis has laid 5 of the last 6 days and today my Ancona - panda also started laying! Whoo!!
Tracie
Thanks. We have 7 acres, and the total chicen space, including the flock management areas is close to 5000sq feet. the main run is about 3500 sq feet.

Last edited:
LOVE LOVE LOVE your set up
Busy day. Got up at 5:30 and processed the turkey. He dressed out at 11 lbs. Then we finished the rolling cages, framed up the last of the pen fronts, cleaned up the entire area, made two mouse trap boxes, and filled one of the compost bins. Very tired. but i think we are ready for the NPIP inspection on Monday.

The view of our chicken operation from the roof of the house.

Back
Top Bottom