Colorado

One of the things we are trying to do is preserve the qualities in the American Dominique that made it such a value to our early forebearers. Lights were not added to laying flocks during the winter until cheap electricity became available. That has only been in the last 100 years of so. I am getting a baseline together and will compare egg laying, rate of growth, processing weights, etc, from this generation of birds to subsequent generations. The goal is to restore the year-round egg production qualities, and the meat qualities, in addition to the economic benefits of an efficient bird.  Our feed consumption has dropped dramatically since the culls were processed, and also (more importantly) since the birds matured.

This is exactly what is needed for this and other heritage breeds, and I admire your approach. I follow the Russian Orloff thread, which is a rare breed no longer even recognized by the APA, and one owner was not tracking which hens were laying more until discussion about trying to use those that produce eggs in higher numbers and over a longer period of time in the breeding program, even though the main goal right now is to get to the old SOP. It is/was a dual purpose bird, and as such, egg production plays as important a role as appearance, possibly more if they expect to ever popularize the breed enough to keep numbers reasonable. There are so many aspects of the breed to work on with so few in breeding programs I imagine it will be some time before great strides are made, but they are possible, especially if a few people get even more serious and breed larger numbers. It is a totally different looking bird, for sure, very upright stance, has the look of a bird of prey, yet is commonly known as very friendly. They are on my way-down-the-road wish list :) I need to know a LOT more about breeding for specific traits before I dabble in something that rare.

Speaking of which, any recommended reading along the lines of breeding for traits? I find this sort of thing fascinating, and Tony agreed to look at pictures of my SS as they mature to help me decide what to keep in a breeding program, what to keep as strictly a layer, and what to feed for consumption. He said they are just about a year old before you can make a final decision, so it won't be a quick project, but that's okay. Just have to get busy well in advance of the time I need a roo pen, and get one built. Is yours adjacent to hens, or out of sight of them?

This is exactly what is needed for this and other heritage breeds, and I admire your approach. I follow the Russian Orloff thread, which is a rare breed no longer even recognized by the APA, and one owner was not tracking which hens were laying more until discussion about trying to use those that produce eggs in higher numbers and over a longer period of time in the breeding program, even though the main goal right now is to get to the old SOP. It is/was a dual purpose bird, and as such, egg production plays as important a role as appearance, possibly more if they expect to ever popularize the breed enough to keep numbers reasonable. There are so many aspects of the breed to work on with so few in breeding programs I imagine it will be some time before great strides are made, but they are possible, especially if a few people get even more serious and breed larger numbers. It is a totally different looking bird, for sure, very upright stance, has the look of a bird of prey, yet is commonly known as very friendly. They are on my way-down-the-road wish list
smile.png
I need to know a LOT more about breeding for specific traits before I dabble in something that rare.
Speaking of which, any recommended reading along the lines of breeding for traits? I find this sort of thing fascinating, and Tony agreed to look at pictures of my SS as they mature to help me decide what to keep in a breeding program, what to keep as strictly a layer, and what to feed for consumption. He said they are just about a year old before you can make a final decision, so it won't be a quick project, but that's okay. Just have to get busy well in advance of the time I need a roo pen, and get one built. Is yours adjacent to hens, or out of sight of them?

Come visit me and bring a large capacity jump drive.........I will give you the digital books I have on the subject. The call of the hen is probably the best on breeding for higher egg production. It is available through googlebooks. I down'oaded these before they changed their policies,,,,,,,, I have over 50 vintage publications in digital format.

Come visit me and bring a large capacity jump drive.........I will give you the digital books I have on the subject. The call of the hen is probably the best on breeding for higher egg production. It is available through googlebooks. I down'oaded these before they changed their policies,,,,,,,, I have over 50 vintage publications in digital format.

You're on! 4G big enough? I have one book on it someone sent me, and My Computer says I have 3.58 of 3.72 G available.

LOL. I just looked and entire thing is about 457 MB. I get to go home early today! Leaving in 10 minutes!

Then I guess 4G will do, excellent!

How wonderful you get to leave early! Woo hoo!!! I work from home Fridays, and today I actually just took a vacation day, so getting some housework done and then running to the grocery store for a few things I need for the week - wouldn't want to get near a department store or mall today unless they were giving away coops and runs LOL

How is Beth feeling?

We've had some mice issues as well. I like mice/rodents so I don't want to kill them! We bought a couple humane traps (which, of course, won't hurt a curious chicken either!) and set them last night. We caught 3 mice within 12 hours! Awesome! We are keeping them in a bucket in the garage and will release them elsewhere all at once. They are so cute....I really don't mind them (although it bugged me to see them tunneling through the chicken's food because I'm sure then the chickens will end up eating their poop).
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

I just hope they are not those endangered $500 fine if your cat (or chicken) kills them mice.

Back
Top Bottom