Colorado

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by tsgreer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO

This is exactly what is needed for this and other heritage breeds, and I admire your approach. I follow the Russian Orloff thread, which is a rare breed no longer even recognized by the APA, and one owner was not tracking which hens were laying more until discussion about trying to use those that produce eggs in higher numbers and over a longer period of time in the breeding program, even though the main goal right now is to get to the old SOP. It is/was a dual purpose bird, and as such, egg production plays as important a role as appearance, possibly more if they expect to ever popularize the breed enough to keep numbers reasonable. There are so many aspects of the breed to work on with so few in breeding programs I imagine it will be some time before great strides are made, but they are possible, especially if a few people get even more serious and breed larger numbers. It is a totally different looking bird, for sure, very upright stance, has the look of a bird of prey, yet is commonly known as very friendly. They are on my way-down-the-road wish list :) I need to know a LOT more about breeding for specific traits before I dabble in something that rare.

Speaking of which, any recommended reading along the lines of breeding for traits? I find this sort of thing fascinating, and Tony agreed to look at pictures of my SS as they mature to help me decide what to keep in a breeding program, what to keep as strictly a layer, and what to feed for consumption. He said they are just about a year old before you can make a final decision, so it won't be a quick project, but that's okay. Just have to get busy well in advance of the time I need a roo pen, and get one built. Is yours adjacent to hens, or out of sight of them?

2. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Come visit me and bring a large capacity jump drive.........I will give you the digital books I have on the subject. The call of the hen is probably the best on breeding for higher egg production. It is available through googlebooks. I down'oaded these before they changed their policies,,,,,,,, I have over 50 vintage publications in digital format.

3. wsmith

The pens: Yes... This year we used one of the growout pens. Next year we will use one of the pens separate from view for the roosters if one is available.

4. Pozees

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO

You're on! 4G big enough? I have one book on it someone sent me, and My Computer says I have 3.58 of 3.72 G available.

5. Pozees

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Oh wait you said large capacity, 4G won't be big enough. I'll stop into one of the office supply stores. 16G?

6. wsmith

LOL. I just looked and entire thing is about 457 MB. I get to go home early today! Leaving in 10 minutes!

7. Pozees

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO

Then I guess 4G will do, excellent!

How wonderful you get to leave early! Woo hoo!!! I work from home Fridays, and today I actually just took a vacation day, so getting some housework done and then running to the grocery store for a few things I need for the week - wouldn't want to get near a department store or mall today unless they were giving away coops and runs LOL

How is Beth feeling?

8. Minchi

Minchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    Parker, CO
    I just hope they are not those endangered $500 fine if your cat (or chicken) kills them mice.

9. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington

$500 fine for killing mice!? What kind??? The only ones I knew of that were that protected are down on the gulf coast.

10. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Whew. Found it and looks nothing like the field mice I have been catching. Good thing they are distinctly colored.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by