Colorado

Of course, I should probably read all the postings before I respond....
Watch for a paypal payment tomorrow for the turkey's.

Wind is roaring, now we have big drifts.

ok :)

Wind really picked up here too, drifting as well. Bob is very sad he didn't put the blade and chains on the tractor yesterday. It's just a Craftsman garden tractor, but it does a decent job on the driveway, and a whole lot easier than shoveling (which we did the first year) or snowblowing - the driveway is 1000 feet long, and gravel. I have a funny picture of Bob clearing it with the snowblower when it was too wet and deep for the blade, I call it A Man and His Driveway. He's the little speck in the middle LOL

ok :)

Wind really picked up here too, drifting as well.  Bob is very sad he didn't put the blade and chains on the tractor yesterday.  It's just a Craftsman garden tractor, but it does a decent job on the driveway, and a whole lot easier than shoveling (which we did the first year) or snowblowing - the driveway is 1000 feet long, and gravel.  I have a funny picture of Bob clearing it with the snowblower when it was too wet and deep for the blade, I call it A Man and His Driveway.  He's the little speck in the middle LOL

Poor bob. But that's still a great picture!

We got about 2-3" inches out here in Aurora, not too shabby since last I heard I thought "trace amount" was what we were getting. So, having a bit made me happy!

Minchi, I can relate. We got laid off in 2007 (dec) from the Mortgage/Financial end of the world. I opened a Wine tour business after that and that was awesome for me for 5 years, but owning your own business was a lot of work. So, I sold it in late 2011, the person I sold it and all the assets to totally didn't pay, so I had to repo it, which was a just lovely experience. (sarcasmmmmmmm) I am retired now, but my DH decided to go back to work in the corporate world and he got a VERY good job in Aviation sales, which he LOVED, LOVED LOVED, that was in March, the company was sold in July, entire staff laid off. But we landed on our feet with a quick turn around on a upper management sales position at Evergreen Aviation, we would require a RELO to Anchorage, but hey, we were up for the adventure now that all but 2 of our 6 kids are grown, and these two are Freshman and Sophomores in High school. Well he went on up there and the company was out of the gate a nightmare! Payroll delayed, insurance never filed, he was stuck on location out in the sticks a couple times, no power, the list goes on and on. Finally on the 19th of Nov he was laid off, but, OH, that's right, even though we haven't paid you or anything YOU find a way back to CO! OMG it was a nightmare! He spent Thanksgiving up there with no power and had to deal with a domestic violence for the couple he was going to spend thanksgiving with, the man ended up in Jail, then 2 days later when he got out he commited suicide and my DH found the body! FINALLY that night our attorney got him home. Now we are AGAIN on the job hunt. Thankfully he interviews well.
It's unlikely I'll ever work outside the house again, I suffer from chronic migraines which makes working for someone else difficult. But I write and am 3/4 the way finished with a novel and about 1/2 way done with my Colorado Food & Wine Cookbook for everyday people.
Anyway, sorry for the long post. Just sort of slipped out. I am getting sick this AM YIPPIE! Just in time for the holidays. Great.

Well, everyone stay warm.

Lees

I am sorry, it is hard enough to get a bad job but to be stranded in those conditions as well, your poor DH. It sounds like the economic slump has been exceptionally rough on the two of you. Congratulations on your novels though, I hope they do well. I have always wanted to write a book but I never have the time. Even when I am out of work I spend all my time looking for work.

Thanks. I'm blessed in that I am able to be one of the more upbeat people. I'm usually not all, whoa is me... it's just one of those days you know? I did go to wine school and I was dedicated to CO wine for 5 years. I'm branching out a little. I normally blog about it everyday or at least every other day. I completely love wine! All things wine! Anyway. I'm sure that something will come along, it always does. Unfortnate that it's right over the holidays of course. Boy it's so cold today. I'm just so cold! Can't seem to warm up. But have a little white elephant gift party to go to later, that should be fun. I made a wine related goodie for it.

TURKEYS... Can you guys tell me about this Turkey you guys are ordering? How it would compare to say a Broad breasted Bronze or white? If they would be good for city life and what sort of weight would it end up being etc?

TURKEYS... Can you guys tell me about this Turkey you guys are ordering? How it would compare to say a Broad breasted Bronze or white? If they would be good for city life and what sort of weight would it end up being etc?

Narragansetts were once the staple of the turkey world in the US. They were developed by crossing the Eastern Wild turkey with domesticated breeds brought back from Europe. A nice bird, good temperment. Mature males are supposed to get as big as 33 pounds, but we cutchered our tom at 6 months and he dressed out at 11 lbs. Great flavor, long breasted. The thighs fed two people each.

Last edited:
Narragansetts were once the staple of the turkey world in the US. They were developed by crossing the Eastern Wild turkey with domesticated breeds brought back from Europe. A nice bird, good temperment. Mature males are supposed to get as big as 33 pounds, but we cutchered our tom at 6 months and he dressed out at 11 lbs. Great flavor, long breasted. The thighs fed two people each.

a friend of mine was talking to me about the turkey her brother raised for thanksgiving and the thing dressed out at 42lbs!! She can't remember the breed at all but i was amazed at hearing that!

Does anyone have any experience with Efowl.com? they are here in Denver evidently I just emailed about their broad breasted breeds. I think I need bigger birds that the ones you guys are getting.

I am sure I will have more than one LOL I will let you know when they are old enough to figure out which are roos and we can go from there. It probably won't be until late summer that I start deciding which roos to keep and grow out, if you can wait that long.

I'm pretty sure I will get more chicks later in spring (May/June), so will let you know.
No doubt you will have more than one roo! lol Yes, I can wait until the end of summer. Please keep me posted on when you place your May/June order, I would be able to raise chicks at that time. Where will be ordering from? Thanks in advance!

I have been remiss in reading this thread, wow, is moving right along! Nice to see so many chicken folks here in Colorado!

Back
Top Bottom