Colorado

So, I hatched these guys on Feb. 10, so they are about 4 weeks old. I think one may be a roo and one's a hen but the middle one I'm not 100% sure on. Any thoughts? These are the eggs I got from you Dennarahl! They are growing so fast! And about when will he start crowing? He seemed to try the other day, maybe it was a yawn though, lol. I thought I would also share my little BLRW I got also. One is a litter shade of blue, the other is darker.
the first picture is definitely a boy. the 2nd one has a noticeable comb, but it's not huge and i'm not seeing any red, so this instant i'd guess girl, but keep an eye on it, the last one should be a girl. the blrw are beautiful!

The rezoning passed the planning commission last night, 4 yes & 2 no. Next its before the County Commissioners March 26. It would require a permit, limits birds to 6 chickens (no other species allowed), no males and screening requirements. I guess its better than nothing but "unincorporated" means to me no restrictions. In our immediate area there are 2 horse boarding & riding facilities and the Horse Protection League. In the hay meadow by the HPL, someone has cattle (who happen to be calving! :) The horse odor wafts over our suburb--no big deal! There's a donkey at one of the stables--I love to hear it! The planning commission had some concerns about poultry odor & noise. Responsible poultry owners can control both. A person isn't required to obtain a permit to own a dog who produces odor & noise as well!!
Its painfully obvious, more needs to be done to educate about animal husbandry and how one's food goes from field to table.
Quote:
I hope that people show up and speak up at is next meeting.
sad.png

Good luck.

the first picture is definitely a boy. the 2nd one has a noticeable comb, but it's not huge and i'm not seeing any red, so this instant i'd guess girl, but keep an eye on it, the last one should be a girl. the blrw are beautiful!
Thank you. I will try to keep you guys updated how the BLRW grow, it'll be interesting to see how they change color. I'll try to get some body pics of the other babies so you can see how they change, the roo is already starting to show barring, it's pretty obvious with him. One of the other chicks has white on the tips of her wings, the rest black, looks pretty neat.

i am in the same boat with Adam the cukoo marans i got from the Elizabeth feed store started with the 'pasty butt' she is trying so hard to pass her stool but its not wroking. my questions are: Is there something i can do to help her? why would this happen? how can i pervent it? and, if they have 'pasty butt' as chicks would they have a greater chase of being egg bound when their adults?

i am in the same boat with Adam the cukoo marans i got from the Elizabeth feed store started with the 'pasty butt' she is trying so hard to pass her stool but its not wroking. my questions are: Is there something i can do to help her? why would this happen? how can i pervent it? and, if they have 'pasty butt' as chicks would they have a greater chase of being egg bound when their adults?
I have added a little molasses and Cider vinegar to their water with some pasty butt success. It doesn't work for all. I've never seen a correlation between pasty butt as a chick and chances of being egg bound as an adult. Two different functions.

would olive oil work?

So my 3 week old blk australorp is jumping on top of the other chicks. She's the one that's my fave, her favorite spot is to be on my shoulder so she's really friendly just seemed odd. What's your guys take on it?

When one of my chicks had pasty butt, i gave her some olive oil both orally and in her vent. It seem to help after a couple of days.

I have a question to people who have gone to any bird swaps. I would really like to hear from people who sold birds, actually from both selling and buying now that I think more about it.
Here is the deal-I need to sell/cull/get rid of at least 5 or 6 birds now, and probably 5 or 6 more by August or so (make room for new chicks).
My birds are a all healthy as far as I know and all laying, they are 10 or 11 months old. They aren't pets in the way my dogs are, but I do love them. I really want them to go to good homes. So, that is my question; When you sold your pets at the bird swap did you feel ok about where they went?
Would I feel better selling them on craigslist?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom