Colorado

Does anyone know where the next swap is? I have never gone to one and think it will be fun to 'look'..(instead wicked grin)(mother won't know what's coming..wait I have to hold off till chicken fest..darn it.)
I don't know when the next one is, BUT, there are lots of different kinds of critters at these swaps. Goats, rabbits, ducks, geese, and of course your favorite, chickens! The homesteading one is every 1st Saturday (I think), and a few people are trying to get one going in the Colorado Springs area.

Does anyone know when the swap in C/S will start???? Has anyone set up at the Farmers Market?

There are a few in the Pueblo area too.

Last edited:
I am jumping to no conclusions, just trying to figure things out. I also am making many calls to voice mails today. It is very frustrating, especially the one to the guy who message is almost exactly two years old saying that he will be unavailable for two to three months. Just getting tired of talking to voice mail.

Grr! Lost 2 chicks today. One was the smallest cukoo maran....which can't be found and the other was my only mille fleur bantam...which i caught the dog burying. I looked everywhere and didn't find the cm buried. There's no blood, no feathers and my older hens didn't sounds the alarm at any point during the day. I suspect the dog may have done it but at the same time I'm not thinking he did. He likes to herd the babies around and he tries to sniff them if they get close but he's never acted rough towards them before....

Does anyone know where the next swap is? I have never gone to one and think it will be fun to 'look'..(instead wicked grin)(mother won't know what's coming..wait I have to hold off till chicken fest..darn it.)
This Sunday from 12 to 3 will be one at the Big R in Elizabeth.Looks like is gonna be every second Sunday of the month.

Grr! Lost 2 chicks today. One was the smallest cukoo maran....which can't be found and the other was my only mille fleur bantam...which i caught the dog burying. I looked everywhere and didn't find the cm buried. There's no blood, no feathers and my older hens didn't sounds the alarm at any point during the day. I suspect the dog may have done it but at the same time I'm not thinking he did. He likes to herd the babies around and he tries to sniff them if they get close but he's never acted rough towards them before....
I can not say is your case but in my case my German shepherd was doing really good with just herding the chickens and amazingly good with the geese, but now if I am not there he does it by him self and if one chicken wonders by them self,he will catch it and kill it and eat it so he has turn from a nice herding dog to a killer, he does fine if everybody goes together but not if someone is alone.
My solution now is I am waiting for a zapper collar I know is cruel but i can not be loosing chickens to him. I have loose 2 dice birds in 3 days and all when I am not outside giving commands.
Maybe I will have to get a herding coach or something.
Just hope yours doesn't turn like that.
Oh the older hens don't sound the alarm because they know the dog and they know that they have to go home because that is why the dog is there.

Hello! I am on my way to join y'all in Colorado from Phoenix, AZ. Anyone from the littleton area? That's where we are looking to settle. No chickens on board. Any good areas in Littleton where chicks are allowed? Hopefully, we'll be settled in our rental by early May. :) I'll be glad to escape the insane heat here.

I can not say is your case but in my case my German shepherd was doing really good with just herding the chickens and amazingly good with the geese, but now if I am not there he does it by him self and if one chicken wonders by them self,he will catch it and kill it and eat it so he has turn from a nice herding dog to a killer, he does fine if everybody goes together but not if someone is alone.
My solution now is I am waiting for a zapper collar I know is cruel but i can not be loosing chickens to him. I have loose 2 dice birds in 3 days and all when I am not outside giving commands.
Maybe I will have to get a herding coach or something.
Just hope yours doesn't turn like that.
Oh the older hens don't sound the alarm because they know the dog and they know that they have to go home because that is why the dog is there.
I have my dog on an invisible fence with collar. The chickens have their area and the dog hers. So far she has just tried to herd them like the others on here, but i dont want to take any chances. She is a sport lab and would love to chase them around if I would let her. The chickens can either be in her area or they can get away from the her if they would like. This way they at least have the option. Sorry to hear about the chicks.
sad.png

I have my dog on an invisible fence with collar. The chickens have their area and the dog hers. So far she has just tried to herd them like the others on here, but i dont want to take any chances. She is a sport lab and would love to chase them around if I would let her. The chickens can either be in her area or they can get away from the her if they would like. This way they at least have the option. Sorry to hear about the chicks.
sad.png
That is the one we are gonna put on him.

Back
Top Bottom