Colorado

Kmatt - How's the girl this am? Fingers crossed here.

Hi Newbies!!!!

I am pretty sure hatching is done here, no more pips. Pulled 11 babies and left the 5 unhatched in for another day just in case. Kinda glad that is over because my back was getting tired from being malpositioned over the incubator for the past two days. We also got 3 inches of snow....
I I got her to eat a little bit of scrambled egg last night and she actually pooped this morning, which she hasn't done in at least 24 hrs. So yay! However, we believe she has egg yolk peritonitis instead of being egg bound. The condition mimics egg binding....and is ultimately fatal. I'm keeping her on meds for a wk and i'm going to drain the fluid from her abdomen and see how she does. Some birds live 2 - 3 yr before they pass away from this condition. If she appears to be in pain or her health deteriorates anymore we will end up culling her. My 6 yr old is not happy because she is one of HIS chickens. Thanks for asking.

congrats on the new chicks!

Anyone in the Longmont area that is interested in Serama's or Chinese Blue Breasted "Button" Quail?
I have an incubator that is just gathering dust and I would like to hatch either Serama's or Buttons if I can find anyone who would like the chicks. Please pm me if you are interested and in which bird and maybe we can talk about a great deal...super inexpensive chicks. Let me know.

also anyone having experience incubating Serama eggs that would like to offer a few tips?

thanks all
big_smile.png

Sorry, I don't know anything about hatching chicks. What does it mean 'clean lines' and 'unzipped' and why have u drawn lines on those eggs? Sorry, I'm curious!
wink.png

A pip is the first hole that they make. They will usually rest after the pip and eventually start unzipping. When they unzip they start at the pip hole and start pecking away shell working counterclockwise. Once unzipped they might rest for awhile or they might immediately start pushing up on the shell. Eventually they will lift the big end off and free their head and make their way out of the shell. The "clean lines" refers to the unzipping. I've seen some that are nice and neat all the way around and some that just hack away until they can break free. As for the lines on the eggs, those are the progression of the air sacs. On day zero you can weigh and trace the air sac on the big end. On days 7, 14, and 18 you can retrace the outline of the air sacs and watch them grow. This will help you adjust the humidity throughout the incubation period. Too much humidity and the air sacs will not get big enough for hatching and the chick will drown. Not enough humidity and the air sacs will get too large and compress the chick into such a tight space that it does not have the space to move around and hatch.

A pip is the first hole that they make. They will usually rest after the pip and eventually start unzipping. When they unzip they start at the pip hole and start pecking away shell working counterclockwise. Once unzipped they might rest for awhile or they might immediately start pushing up on the shell. Eventually they will lift the big end off and free their head and make their way out of the shell. The "clean lines" refers to the unzipping. I've seen some that are nice and neat all the way around and some that just hack away until they can break free. As for the lines on the eggs, those are the progression of the air sacs. On day zero you can weigh and trace the air sac on the big end. On days 7, 14, and 18 you can retrace the outline of the air sacs and watch them grow. This will help you adjust the humidity throughout the incubation period. Too much humidity and the air sacs will not get big enough for hatching and the chick will drown. Not enough humidity and the air sacs will get too large and compress the chick into such a tight space that it does not have the space to move around and hatch.

Very nice answer! And VtotheAL , don't be sorry. Asking questions is how you learn Chicken Math and then we have more local breeds and chickens to choose from! It's all just a greedy twisted plot for our devious plan of getting more and better chickens.
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom