Colorado

The four new chicks. Everybody else quit. (for more photos go to our FB page.....)

We still have three that could hatch over the weekend.
fl.gif
Adorable! Good luck with the remaining three!
I'm sure you've been asked this before, but how did you decide on Dominiques? I love the idea of heritage breeds, but live in the city limits, which means no chicken breeding for me
sad.png

Look into small local mills around you. I only know the ones on the N side. They all will have a layer and chick feed. The advantages of local mills is it's super fresh (less than one week old), it's made mostly from locally grown products and it's cheaper because of reduced shipping and storage costs. If you have a large local egg producer, they formulate their own mix and might sell it to you 100# at a time. (I just found someone to do this. My costs are $.30/#)
Thanks Percheron chick! I'll do some more research to see if I can find a small local mill. In the mean time I tracked down some soy free organic layer that I will supplement with meal worms and greens. Does anyone here use fish meal to increase the protein in their layer feed?

Adorable! Good luck with the remaining three!
I'm sure you've been asked this before, but how did you decide on Dominiques? I love the idea of heritage breeds, but live in the city limits, which means no chicken breeding for me
sad.png
I LOVE being asked that question!
celebrate.gif

(others are now saying oh no you asked the question!!!!!
he.gif
hide.gif
ep.gif
barnie.gif
)

I was always interested in American History, some would say obsessed..... As a family we have been doing American Revolution reenacting for nearly 22 years. The American Dominique was the first chicken breed developed in what is now the US. It was common nearly everywhere until the mid 19th century, when various other breeds began to be imported and others developed focussing on egg laying. The Barred plymouth rock was developed in part from Dominiques. It just seemd to fit with the hobby.
Now, I am hooked on them. The good egg laying, even in winter, and the fantastic flavor of the butchered cockerels. The cockerels and roosters are nearly twice as big as the hens, making them one of the best dual purpose breeds out there. they forage well, and don't eat much in relation to the amount of eggs they produce.

Well this is the first time posting on this thread but I have never felt excluded. This is my first time with chicken and have really enjoyed reading and learning from all of you. My girls are healthy and happy and a lot of that is due to all of the reading I have done here. I feel sure if I have questions they will be answered.
Hi CJ and welcome to our illustrious thread
frow.gif

I had a similar response from my chickens with kale, and the greens from my turnips and beets.  It seems chickens have better sense about eating their nutrient packed leafy vegetables thatn we do.  I'd happily take your excess spinach and swiss chard, since my garden is almost worthless this summer so far.  However, I will tell you that last summer when I had more greens than even my chickens could handle I just chopped it and stuffed it in big zip lock bags and tossed it in the chest freezer.  I could take out a handful and add it to the warm mash I fed my girls on cold winter mornings (OK, I baby my chickens in the winter).  It is my theory that one of the reasons our fresh chicken eggs taste so much better than store purchased eggs is because they have varried diets.  Those frozen greens gave them variety during the long winter when there wasn't much to forrage.
Great idea. I may have to freeze some for the winter.

Back
Top Bottom