Colorado

So yesterday morning I watched some interesting behavior from one of my hens. I posted about this on the Colorado Chickens FB page as well.

I noticed earlier that I still had some hens sitting in the nests, and I wanted to collect eggs before leaving for church. So I went into the hen house and sat down on the low roosts. # 12 was in the second nest box from the right, on one egg. The nest box on the far right, next to her, had two eggs in it. I didn't want to disturb her egg laying, so I left them there and just watched.

My nest boxes all have about a 2 inch gap on the back side, the side that is accessable through the nest box outside access door.

#12 was sitting there, and then she moved around, and noticed that there were two eggs in the adjoining nest. She stood up in the nest box, and reached around through the gap, hooked one of the eggs with her beak, and pulled it out of the nest, through the gap, and put it under herself. A minute or two later, she tried for the other one, but couldn't reach. She got up and went to the adjoining nest box, where there was now only one egg. I took the eggs from the one she had been in previously. She got back up and went to her former nest, and when she saw that there weren't any eggs there any more, she got up and left.

Chickens are so entertaining. Though I've shut down my breeding pens this year, and won't be hatching out more chicks, I wonder if she'll be a broody candidate for next year.....

I can't wait til I get to do things like that ;) you tell a good story! My husband would/will get very jealous of my chicken addiction if I go to crazy too fast. He builds homes for a living so hammering my crazy coop ideas together isn't always fun (lol) he's a trooper though and loves the girls.
When the hens become broody, is it something you notice in their personality within their first year of laying?

My broody hen is airting on 8 eggs at the moment. You welcome to them if they hatch.

That would be great! Thank you
1f604.png
let me know if they hatch and ill be happy to come and get them

Welcome to chickenhood! All my Orps have always been the bossy, roost ruling types. My flock is a mix of breeds, as I want to own one of each it seems. I am not sure where you can get chicks this time of year. Pick the birds you want and enjoy.
That reminds me of someting that happened last fall

We donated three cull pullets to Rock Ledge Ranch, where they enjoy a pampered existence. If any of you get the chance, go look at the new coop/pen that the ranch's chickens enjoy.

Anyway, last October we delivered the pullets. They have a buff Orp rooster and a few buff Orp hens. They had suffered some losses, so were looking to add some to their flock. So we let these 3 small dom pullets into the pen. The Orps, all of them, go scurrying off into a far cover, squawking their fool heads off! Every time one of the doms would approach, they would act like they were being invaded by aliens!.

When we were there two weeks ago, we checked in on them. They have a slanted multi level roost....The dom hens were on the top rungs of the roost, the rooster was on the second (I think it was because he is too big to fit onto to top one) and ALL the buff orp hens were on lower rungs. Too funny. But from what the caretakers say, they all get along fine.

I can't wait til I get to do things like that
wink.png
you tell a good story! My husband would/will get very jealous of my chicken addiction if I go to crazy too fast. He builds homes for a living so hammering my crazy coop ideas together isn't always fun (lol) he's a trooper though and loves the girls.
When the hens become broody, is it something you notice in their personality within their first year of laying?
I haven't had one of the Doms go broody yet, but I am watching for it. In a prior existence (during the dark ages of the 70's) we had Barred Rocks, and the ones we had were CONSTANTLY going broody! We learned early on not to leave a bunch of eggs in the nests....

Wow, this thread is moving!

First off, welcome to all the new people! Don't be afraid to ask questions, I sure had a ton when I first joined.

I am having a quiet day today. Laundry, cleaning and chick care. The Silkie babies are running around like little nuts in their brooder! Gotta love watching little fluff balls act like pinballs.

Anyone else getting rain this morning? It is the perfect day to curl up with a book and a hot cocoa. :)

So 2 yokes are bad, hum. Is there anything I can do or should be doing? Or is it just genetics?

Welcome to all the new folks!
welcome-byc.gif

Someone was asking about flock selection for our climate.
I followed a simple path:
I can control how cold I can keep the Hens in the summer more effectively than I can control the heat in our chilly winters >Cold weather Breeds (short combs)
Eggs/Meat/ or dual> I was after eggs & looks, so I picked SL Wyandottes, Sebright(Only Ornamental, turned out to be a roo), & Cochins
SPACE in my case was a big deal. So I went with Bantams.

Last edited:
That's to funny. I thought we were doing good collecting the eggs everyday, but these girls are new and they are laying them in different spots.
I was watching on of my SLW's getting broody on her >egg<, she stood up and there were 2 eggs, I came back in 5 minutes and there were 3. I was curious so I popped the door and moved her. She was laying on 5 eggs. She must have been covering them with the bedding when I wasn't looking & then coming back.
roll.png

Thanks for all the advice on breeds. Our purpose for having chickens is eggs for our family. We want our grandkids (7 yr old and a newborn) to know us as the grandparents who had horses, alpaca and chickens living on rural property in N. Colorado. Being retired military I don't like to do anything without planning. So I ask many questions and keep many notes. Thanks to all!!

Back
Top Bottom