Colorado

When are you doing this and where are you? I am in Colorado Springs (basically) and could make the drive; how are you transporting your chicken(s)....in a box?

Message me with the details please and I'll sure try and make it.

Thanks!

Still trying to touch base with her. She offered last night, and I sent a PM. I will let you know. Maybe late Saturday afternoon.

WARNING - I am a noob. I may not have all the equipment needed. It is just my backyard, a turkey fryer, a couple knives, a hose and a table/cutting board. Not really a full-scale operation, and if she isn't able to meet up, I am winging it, and may screw it all up. If you come, bring your own knives, etc if you can. I was just planning on doing two of my cockerels this time (they are so mean to the hens, I can't let it go on).

You have been warned.
wink.png

Off to a doctors appointment. The doc heard a murmur when he checked our littlest last month and we are seeing the pediatric cardiologist today to find out if it is harmless or not.

Here's hoping it is something minor, and won't harm your little one. My oldest had a murmur at birth; it was a ventricular septal defect (VSD - a hole between two chambers) and a PDA (valve that hadn't closed before birth). The PDA resolved itself while she was getting her ultrasound (the recording showed it open at the start, and closed half an hour later). THe VSD resolved itself by the time she was 18 months. She never had an ill effects from either.

Last edited:
Still trying to touch base with her. She offered last night, and I sent a PM. I will let you know. Maybe late Saturday afternoon.

WARNING - I am a noob. I may not have all the equipment needed. It is just my backyard, a turkey fryer, a couple knives, a hose and a table/cutting board. Not really a full-scale operation, and if she isn't able to meet up, I am winging it, and may screw it all up. If you come, bring your own knives, etc if you can. I was just planning on doing two of my cockerels this time (they are so mean to the hens, I can't let it go on).

You have been warned.
wink.png

I'm totally new to this as well...I'll have to see if I can sharpen some good knives and put some things together....then I have to catch him ofcourse.....easier said then done! Keep me posted and thanks...

Hello all! I just saw the CO thread! How exciting!! I am on the western slope & have been working really hard to make some chicken contacts! I have high hopes that this will help! I LOVE my birds, so I think this is the best place for me to 'roost'! I have Salmon Fav's, BCM's (with more in the 'bator), a tiny Frizzle with a Silkie best friend and a Silkie bf, a couple of Brahmas, some backyard mix layers and hopefully this weekend I will add some Lavender Orpingtons. I lost my Salmon Fav roo a while back so I am on the lookout for another in my neck of the woods if possible. It will be wonderful to have a source for hatching eggs at our high altitude, and I should have some soon as well. It's great to be here!!
yippiechickie.gif

Hello all! I just saw the CO thread! How exciting!! I am on the western slope & have been working really hard to make some chicken contacts! I have high hopes that this will help! I LOVE my birds, so I think this is the best place for me to 'roost'! I have Salmon Fav's, BCM's (with more in the 'bator), a tiny Frizzle with a Silkie best friend and a Silkie bf, a couple of Brahmas, some backyard mix layers and hopefully this weekend I will add some Lavender Orpingtons. I lost my Salmon Fav roo a while back so I am on the lookout for another in my neck of the woods if possible. It will be wonderful to have a source for hatching eggs at our high altitude, and I should have some soon as well. It's great to be here!!
yippiechickie.gif
Welcome to the Colorado Thread!

Quote: X2, This thread is just moving right along! Welcome to all the newbies, and sorry that some are having mean roo problems, is never fun.

My daughter is looking for a new rooster, hers was three years old, he up and vanished last week. If anyone has any pure breed Jersey Giant or Australorp please PM me. Also, she is open to other breeds as long as they are good size! She is not interested in any meanies though......
sad.png

Frogeggs and Chook Chick, I can't say it enough times. Get the sharpest knife you can find. I have tried to sharpen kitchen knifes (I worked in kitchens for 20 years) and I couldn't get mine sharp enough to cut more than two or three chickens necks before the knife needed resharpening.
I finally got one of these http://www.havalon.com/
I think a box cutter might do the trick.Change the blade every three or four birds.
OH! One other piece of advise, maybe you know...make sure you get the knife UNDER the feathers below the earlobe. Touch the knife to the skin before you cut. If you are cutting feathers you will dull the knife and have to make two or more cuts. Feathers are very hard to cut through. If you get the knife under the feathers, right at the skin you are cutting only skin and the vein/artery is right there.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I bet your knife will be good. I have to cull a hen of mine who, I think it laying internally. She isn't egg bound but is walking and standing like a penguin and slowly declining.
She will be the first of one of my laying birds I will have to kill. I have only killed meat birds :(
Sad, but I knew I would have to do this someday.

I'm totally new to this as well...I'll have to see if I can sharpen some good knives and put some things together....then I have to catch him ofcourse.....easier said then done! Keep me posted and thanks...

I catch mean roos when they are sleeping...... much easier. Dog carriers work well for transporting birds. Good luck. Wish I could help.

Back
Top Bottom