Colorado

I'm going to staple some styrofoam sheets to the inside walls of our coops. Then, nail 1/4" plywood over the styrofoam to keep the ladies from pecking it. I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the floor and putting something down in there to insulate from underneath. (My coops are movable strapped to 6x6 timbers so they're up off the ground.) Also thinking about fastening plywood to the run walls that are facing north. We are on top of a foothill and we have had gusts of 106 MPH and straightline winds of 94 so I need to cut the wind.

Last edited:
Schools closed, all roads closed.  At least I am on high ground up here in Boulder County and am thankful that this is not snow.  And I still have power - what a treat!
I am glad to see everyone is ok so far. Keep a watchfull eye out though. Fountain creek that runs next to my house i way up. It is about 6.5 to 7 feet above normal at 7 am this morning. It has been raining in the mountains since and i expect it to become higher. I believe we will be ok because it will need to come up another 14 feet to get to my house. It is a spooky feeling however.

We had on and off most through the night, but did not amount to much. I bought a rain gauge this summer, and is below half an inch.

Hope everyone in the low laying areas is OK! Sun is out, but still see rain clouds to the north. Crazy weahter for sure!

We too will add Styrofoam sheeting and then either OSB, or plywood to the inside of the coop, can't do much with the floor as it is dirt, but we use DL method, so they should be fine.

Looks like we can expect above average snow this winter, according to the Farmers Almanac! Should make the skiers happy!!!

I'm going to staple some styrofoam sheets to the inside walls of our coops. Then, nail 1/4" plywood over the styrofoam to keep the ladies from pecking it. I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the floor and putting something down in there to insulate from underneath. (My coops are movable strapped to 6x6 timbers so they're up off the ground.) Also thinking about fastening plywood to the run walls that are facing north. We are on top of a foothill and we have had gusts of 106 MPH and straightline winds of 94 so I need to cut the wind.

106, really? I'm gonna drill a hole in the new coop and hang a heat lamp in there. Oh and Welcome to the most obnoxious group of peeps you ever met.
tongue.png

Last edited:
I've got a crazy question. Can a seven-month old go broody? My Austra-white has been glued to a nest for the last two days. She seems to be laying flat with her wings sort of spread out a bit. She doesn't want to come out, and gets irritated with me when I move her off. But as soon as I take her off, she goes outside, takes a drink, and pecks at the food for a minute or two, then goes right back in.

She's still laying, though, I think. (Unless there's another one laying a white egg, now.) She also seems to move to whatever next has the eggs in it. When I pull them out from under her, she moves to the next one after eggs are laid.

I don't see any obvious signs of injury. She gets very animated and active when I pick her up off of the nest. But she seems dehydrated. Her comb is looking pale and sort of flops over. She also seems to be "thinner" than normal. I don't know if I should be worried, or leave her alone.

Help?

Schools closed, all roads closed.  At least I am on high ground up here in Boulder County and am thankful that this is not snow.  And I still have power - what a treat!

Mtn Margie stay safe. This rain was needed but not the floods. My heart goes out to you who are worried, praying all will be well. I have chicks coming in tomorrow , and am worried about their trip. Hope they will be healthy with this weather. Everything was set up in the big coop now I worry it won't be warm enough. I'm heating the brooder already hoping the shavings will retain some heat. I'm going to try FF. at first it will be just mash. Wondering if I should add ACV to the mash if so does anyone know how much ? I was nervous about FF right off the bat. Thought I would get it started this week end. Stay safe those in low areas.

Mtn Margie stay safe. This rain was needed but not the floods. My heart goes out to you who are worried, praying all will be well. I have chicks coming in tomorrow , and am worried about their trip. Hope they will be healthy with this weather. Everything was set up in the big coop now I worry it won't be warm enough. I'm heating the brooder already hoping the shavings will retain some heat. I'm going to try FF. at first it will be just mash. Wondering if I should add ACV to the mash if so does anyone know how much ? I was nervous about FF right off the bat. Thought I would get it started this week end. Stay safe those in low areas.

Un-pasteurized buttermilk is the best start, but it will get started with a quick glug of ACV. There's a whole article about which live cultures you want, and why...I'm just not sure where it is right now. Either way, the health food stores have the cultured buttermilk. You can start your batch, then add the buttermilk after you get it.

Back
Top Bottom