Colorado

We got about 3/4 inch of rain. Loveland at 5200 ft. 36 deg right now. I'd prefer some snow as it soaks in better and in this area we don't need any more runoff. Just now starting to recover from the flood.

Hi all, I recently got my first little flock of 5 hens. They should start laying anytime! I noticed however that one of them had worms. I read all the threads and see that I need Valbazen. As you know it only comes in huge bottles. I only need a small amount and was wondering if anyone is close to the Denver area and could sell me some. PM me if you think you can help me out :) thanks for all of your helpful tips on here!

Hi all, I recently got my first little flock of 5 hens. They should start laying anytime! I noticed however that one of them had worms. I read all the threads and see that I need Valbazen. As you know it only comes in huge bottles. I only need a small amount and was wondering if anyone is close to the Denver area and could sell me some. PM me if you think you can help me out :) thanks for all of your helpful tips on here!

Welcome to the Colorado thread!!!
smile.png

Welcome! Hope you find someone to share dewormer with. Seems like a good time to do this especially if the hens are older and in molt as some of us have on here.

Last edited:
I don't have any down here in the Springs. Might I suggest that this time of year would be a great time to also buy a pumpkin and feed them the whole thing, seeds and all. I understand pumpkin seed are a good dewormer, altho I don't know if it works on all kinds of worms.

Someone more knowledgeable should chime in later.

Welcome! An alternative would be Safeguard, which is far less expensive and usually comes in smaller bottles. You can buy the kind for goats and some 1 cc syringes without needles, give 1/2 cc by mouth per bird (1/4 cc if you have bantams) and repeat in 10 days. It is usually available at feed stores. If you have actually seen worms in the droppings you should not delay treatment. As gardendufus said, raw pumpkin seed is the natural alternative, I have used it ground and mixed into yogurt, they usually don't like just raw seed, or just feed the entire pumpkin.

Welcome! Hope you find someone to share dewormer with. Seems like a good time to do this especially if the hens are older and in molt as some of us have on here.
Yes, my hens are molting too, although gradually, and the juvenile RIR (4-6 months of age) are trying to finish a juvenile molt - tonight they are really trying to hurry the finish LOL. Chilly chilly. Chicks were all under Mamas when I got home - late, so I had to turn on the lights to do chicken care, which they like until I turn them off and then they have to find each other to snuggle. The chicks and Silkie parents have gotten wise to this routine, and by the time I get to the last pen in the big coop, they start the huddle up, they seem to have figured out the routine. Not looking forward to the next couple of nights, but I'm sure up your way it's way colder than down here. 43 degrees and a stiff wind is plenty cold enough for me to hurry the work outside in LOL.

Hey, I keep meaning to ask, did you ever get to raising quail this year?

Yes, my hens are molting too, although gradually, and the juvenile RIR (4-6 months of age) are trying to finish a juvenile molt - tonight they are really trying to hurry the finish LOL. Chilly chilly. Chicks were all under Mamas when I got home - late, so I had to turn on the lights to do chicken care, which they like until I turn them off and then they have to find each other to snuggle. The chicks and Silkie parents have gotten wise to this routine, and by the time I get to the last pen in the big coop, they start the huddle up, they seem to have figured out the routine. Not looking forward to the next couple of nights, but I'm sure up your way it's way colder than down here. 43 degrees and a stiff wind is plenty cold enough for me to hurry the work outside in LOL.

Hey, I keep meaning to ask, did you ever get to raising quail this year?
LOL!! Apparently I am living this experiment vicariously through Samsr this year. Now if we can only ask him to raise some of those meaties from James Marie, we will have a local source for eggs.
Hint, hint, cough, cough......
gig.gif

The coop will actually go on the far side of the foundation. where the retaining wall just starts to curve around but it will attach to the green house. The greenhouse is facing southwest. It actually gets a lot of sun right there. The retaining wall bricks are always warm, even when it is really cold outside. I hope I can get it built in my spare time before it gets too awful cold. I got 4 pieces of the foundation forms in this afternoon. I should be able to speed things up tomorrow and maybe finish the foundation forms in the next couple days. This will depend on how bad the weather is Friday, however. Thanks for the interest in my little adventure. I will definitely keep everyone updated.
Sounds like a great design!!!
I think my chooks may be disappointed by my design, taking space away from their chicken run!!!! In the mean time, they love dust bathing in the newly raked dirt!
so far DH has a foundation started. Fortunately for him working out there today, he was able to rescue a newly hatched chick under the broody silkie from a cannibalistic death by likely her genetic mom!!

Last edited:
Welcome!  An alternative would be Safeguard, which is far less expensive and usually comes in smaller bottles.  You can buy the kind for goats and some 1 cc syringes without needles, give 1/2 cc by mouth per bird (1/4 cc if you have bantams) and repeat in 10 days.  It is usually available at feed stores.  If you have actually seen worms in the droppings you should not delay treatment.  As gardendufus said, raw pumpkin seed is the natural alternative, I have used it ground and mixed into yogurt, they usually don't like just raw seed, or just feed the entire pumpkin.

So safeguard is the same as Valbazen? Looks to be the same dosing too. I've decided to worm this year, and now seems to be a good time, since my egg count has gone way down. Which stores carry either of these? I checked big r and they had neither.

Back
Top Bottom