Colorado

Spent the day yesterday doing the fall transfer of the deep litter in the coop into the garden so the girls could til it in before next spring. Then I loaded up the coop with 4 extra large bags of sof
Well, the girls seemed to be quite suspicious of the new landscaping in their coop, wouldn't go in, which I thought was quite funny. Then I decided to entice them in and watch them scratch around for awhile. So, I threw a bunch of sunflower seeds around in the coop. They came to the door, eyeing the seeds. They walked down the ramp (my coop is below ground level so they have to go DOWN to get into it instead of up). But they only walked to the point that the ramp met the new shavings, then s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d-their necks as far as they could to reach whichever seeds were near, but would NOT put their feet on the new shavings. They hopped to the top of my two interior nest boxes and tried to lean down to reach the seeds, but it was too far.

I stayed for about 1/2 hour and only one of them got brave enough to actually get into the shavings. At dark, they got onto the ramp, hopped onto the nest boxes, and from there to the roosts.
Today they seemed to be a little more used to it, but I'd say they are still not comfortable. But, it was very amusing watching them try to figure out how to get those seeds without touching the bedding.

Oh my how they hate change.

Last edited:
Spent the day yesterday doing the fall transfer of the deep litter in the coop into the garden so the girls could til it in before next spring. Then I loaded up the coop with 4 extra large bags of sof
Well, the girls seemed to be quite suspicious of the new landscaping in their coop, wouldn't go in, which I thought was quite funny. Then I decided to entice them in and watch them scratch around for awhile. So, I threw a bunch of sunflower seeds around in the coop. They came to the door, eyeing the seeds. They walked down the ramp (my coop is below ground level so they have to go DOWN to get into it instead of up). But they only walked to the point that the ramp met the new shavings, then s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d-their necks as far as they could to reach whichever seeds were near, but would NOT put their feet on the new shavings. They hopped to the top of my two interior nest boxes and tried to lean down to reach the seeds, but it was too far.

I stayed for about 1/2 hour and only one of them got brave enough to actually get into the shavings. At dark, they got onto the ramp, hopped onto the nest boxes, and from there to the roosts.
Today they seemed to be a little more used to it, but I'd say they are still not comfortable. But, it was very amusing watching them try to figure out how to get those seeds without touching the bedding.

LOL they are so funny aren't they? I know it's a survival instinct, but still funny :)

I set up all the heated waterers this afternoon, so Bob can just plug them in tomorrow night. Washed and sprayed all the summer waterers with Oxine, when they dry they will go into storage for winter. Yuck. Winter. I know all the trees need it, it kills off lots of parasites, etc. - doesn't mean I have to like it. <sigh>

They are standard Cochins, but mine are about a year and a half now. I had one go broody and hatch chicks about five months ago, I think she's only laid a few since then. The second girl stopped about a two months ago. Just frustrating, always trying to figure out odd chicken behaviors.
I thought yours were younger, hmm, one would think with all their extra feathers they would be great winter layers in our climate!!!!

eta, Speaking of colder weather, clouds just moved in here, sun is gone, and it is quite nippy out now! Yep, we need winter cold, but doesn't mean I have to like it!

Last edited:
Spent the day yesterday doing the fall transfer of the deep litter in the coop into the garden so the girls could til it in before next spring.  Then I loaded up the coop with 4 extra large bags of sof
Well, the girls seemed to be quite suspicious of the new landscaping in their coop, wouldn't go in, which I thought was quite funny.  Then I decided to entice them in and watch them scratch around for awhile.  So, I threw a bunch of sunflower seeds around in the coop.  They came to the door, eyeing the seeds.  They walked down the ramp (my coop is below ground level so they have to go DOWN to get into it instead of up).  But they only walked to the point that the ramp met the new shavings, then s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d-their necks as far as they could to reach whichever seeds were near, but would NOT put their feet on the new shavings.  They hopped to the top of my two interior nest boxes and tried to lean down to reach the seeds, but it was too far.

I stayed for about 1/2 hour and only one of them got brave enough to actually get into the shavings.  At dark, they got onto the ramp, hopped onto the nest boxes, and from there to the roosts.
Today they seemed to be a little more used to it, but I'd say they are still not comfortable.  But, it was very amusing watching them try to figure out how to get those seeds without touching the bedding.

Cleaning the coops and runs out is on my schedule for next week, after processing Saturday. When I spread out bags of leaves they don't like walking on it for a while, I assume because it is so noisy. They get over it though.

I thought yours were younger, hmm, one would think with all their extra feathers they would be great winter layers in our climate!!!!

eta,  Speaking of colder weather, clouds just moved in here, sun is gone, and it is quite nippy out now!  Yep, we need winter cold, but doesn't mean I have to like it!

They laid so well last winter, their first, I just assumed they would this year as well.
I ordered the wormer, still not sure if I'll use it.

The HOA is taking forever to accept or reject my plans, so the girls are still garage dwellers. They are getting really stressed, I have a small area I can let them outside in but I can only let them out when I am home. Any ideas on how I can get there stress level down? Arry and Zoe are now molting so I am sure that does not help. I have had one egg since I brought them home a week ago too. I know the light scheduled is off since I am using artificial light, I was off on timing a few nights but I have set alarms so that won't happen again.

The HOA is taking forever to accept or reject my plans, so the girls are still garage dwellers. They are getting really stressed, I have a small area I can let them outside in but I can only let them out when I am home. Any ideas on how I can get there stress level down? Arry and Zoe are now molting so I am sure that does not help. I have had one egg since I brought them home a week ago too. I know the light scheduled is off since I am using artificial light, I was off on timing a few nights but I have set alarms so that won't happen again.
I have seen on the Heritage Large Fowl Thread someone made portable chicken panels with 1 x1's and chicken wire. They posted pictures of them, they look fairly easy to make and put up, even have a top on them. Would give them the chance to be outside more, maybe you can attach it temporarily to your garage and put in a small dog door.

eta, There are pictures of them posted on the HLF thread page 1550, hope this is the right link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400344/heritage-large-fowl-thread/15490

They have some great pen ideas on this thread too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom