Colorado

No idea if dogs are the same as birds, but we had a little Shih Tzu that lost all her pups within a few days after they were born. When we bred her again, we had consulted with a vet who instructed us to feed her raw liver. Sooo gross! but we did, and the second litter was very healthy. Sounds similar to me?

Yeah, from my experience Big R employees know absolutely nothing about baby chickens so you'd better go there knowing what you're looking for. They DO know what they need to sell you to take of the chickens' needs as the babies are a loss leader and everything else is going full price plus.
Last year at our Big R in Elizabeth they had some Brahmas (the fuzzy feet birds) and some polish and some turkens but everything else was pretty standard-rhode islands, some easter eggers, leghorns, orps, etc.... If you want anything exotic you're going to have to place an order with someone. Mary in Kiowa in Elizabeth will order almost anything that MacMurray has in stock.

im gonna reinforce this statement with my own big r story.. ready?

first time buying chickens, had no idea about anything at all, so i thought ill ask the guy selling me the chickens whats what and what i need for them

the guy at big r told me pullets were males and straight run were females so i took his advice and bought 10 straight run chicks

then i asked what do i need to take care of them, he showed me the feeers and waterers and the adult chick food

well we were lucky and unlucky, the adult food didnt kill them but out of 10 chicksn we only got one hen, all roosters.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER go to big r looking for sound advice, you wont find it there...

Yeah, from my experience Big R employees know absolutely nothing about baby chickens so you'd better go there knowing what you're looking for.  They DO know what they need to sell you to take of the chickens' needs as the babies are a loss leader and everything else is going full price plus.

Last year at our Big R in Elizabeth they had some Brahmas (the fuzzy feet birds) and some polish and some turkens but everything else was pretty standard-rhode islands, some easter eggers, leghorns, orps, etc....  If you want anything exotic you're going to have to place an order with someone.  Mary in Kiowa in Elizabeth will order almost anything that MacMurray has in stock.

im gonna reinforce this statement with my own big r story.. ready?

first time buying chickens, had no idea about anything at all, so i thought ill ask the guy selling me the chickens whats what and what i need for them

the guy at big r told me pullets were males and straight run were females so i took his advice and bought 10 straight run chicks

then i asked what do i need to take care of them, he showed me the feeers and waterers and the adult chick food

well we were lucky and unlucky, the adult food didnt kill them but out of 10 chicksn we only got one hen, all roosters.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER go to big r looking for sound advice, you wont find it there...

LOL! Live and learn. If you just want some laying hens then the pullets sold at Big R would work, if, but if you want a specific breed, then Big R is not for you.:D I would buy pullets form them again, but never straight run.

Would never have thought of adding liver to their diet now and then, thanks!
Sure! She was such a princess, she actually sat on 2 of them, while looking at me with a "I can only handle 3 kids, not 5". No matter how I tried to save them, over the space of a few days she managed to suffocate 2, but was a great mom to the 3 she allowed to survive. Her name was Hatia, which I heard was "Jewish Princess"; to us she was TIa. She was from Manhattan and she was a princess!!

Here is the columbian cockerel. He is a good personality, very fluffy feet, has been shown 3 times, frostbite on very tips of comb. I just have too many males, he is $15.

One more pretty cockerel available. He's a summer 2013 hatch, mille fleur bantam cochin. Beautiful coloring! He's $15.

The Red Cell supplement used for horses may be of use for the poultry. I mix it in with other ingredients as a treat.

He is lovely too! I have two bottles of Red Cell. What do you mix it with? Mine don't eat or drink it by itself.

Those are beautiful boys, Shy!

I have a hatch underway, first try with some Production Reds from a local keeper, the eggs are big, and as of now I have 6 of those hatched and 6 more pipped, plus the 2 Silkie eggs I put in have both hatched :) I also have at least one under a broody hatched, there were 3 due today but they were too tight to the nest last night to see whether the others had hatched.

The Mayahns and Silkies I hatched New Year's Day are doing very well, little cutie patooties!

Is anyone else setting/hatching eggs right now?

Back
Top Bottom