Colorado

Maggiemo -- oh no!
hugs.gif
What an awful morning! Hoping it was just a fluke!

Trsturself -- Glad to know I'm not the only one with an enigmatic chicken.
wink.png
Fingers and toes crossed for you!! I'm jealous!

Onstad -- what a fantastic idea and service!

I am having the worst rooster hatching luck! I have four Silkies that hatched about 3 months ago, beautiful Silkies from my hen and a Roo from Pozees, I'm pretty sure they are all males. *Sigh* This is not the first time for this to happen. I got six silkies from Pozees a while back, and five were males, then I got four more from her, and three of those were male. It's crazy! Even my Cream Legbar are coming out way more males then females.
Anyways...I have four male Silkies available. One of them is gorgeous, he's blue with full face feathers, I actually can't believe how quickly he feathered. Pm me if interested.
I'm growing out 5 Cream Roos in the garage right now, hoping they're coloring is better than our original boy. So, I'll have four of them available in about two weeks, and would add the blue egg gene to any future chicks.
You know it's Spring with all this chick talk! As soon as the wind stops, I will be much happier.

Thanks again for the support. I don't know what else I can do. I guess hope for the best.
Fingers crossed Trust on the new place
Mo-great idea, wishing much success. I saw a portable fence for chickens on craigslist. I wonder if that would be something you could make and sell. On craigslist search "portable fence chickens"
Bummer Ashdoes. I ordered all pullets from Meyer and I have at least 5 or 6 roosters out of that order, lesson learned; buy local and just deal with roosters, cause you have to anyway. Looks like we should organize a BYC fried chicken event later this summer.

Thanks again for the support. I don't know what else I can do. I guess hope for the best.
Fingers crossed Trust on the new place
Mo-great idea, wishing much success. I saw a portable fence for chickens on craigslist. I wonder if that would be something you could make and sell. On craigslist search "portable fence chickens"
Bummer Ashdoes. I ordered all pullets from Meyer and I have at least 5 or 6 roosters out of that order, lesson learned; buy local and just deal with roosters, cause you have to anyway. Looks like we should organize a BYC fried chicken event later this summer.

<PERK!> Did somebody say fried chicken? Count me in! I'd really like to learn how to make real southern fried chicken... I like to cook, but at that I have never succeeded. Good/better luck w/the rest of your chicks Mo. Hope they all make it and the one loss was a fluke.

Haven't been fermenting. Just dry feed so far. I got a deal on crumbles for chicks. Didn't think wet crumbles was very appealing. I bought flock feed in pellets. Maybe try to ferment a little to see what happens. Everything is new with these things. Is fermenting difficult?

Haven't been fermenting. Just dry feed so far. I got a deal on crumbles for chicks. Didn't think wet crumbles was very appealing. I bought flock feed in pellets. Maybe try to ferment a little to see what happens. Everything is new with these things. Is fermenting difficult?
Fermenting is not hard. Basically, it's feed plus water plus time. You can start using it right away but the idea is to grow a culture with good bacteria for the gut. The whole thing kinda smells like yeast.
My birds have been very happy with that mixed with sprouted whole grains. I do this by soaking grains in water overnight the first night and then rinsing them twice a day for the next three days. Every night a start a new bucket so that I always have three going. On occasion I end up with more grain then I need so I just rinse and don't start anymore.

More bad news for our little bird family. Son's DW was taking out the trash can to the curb. Saw a fox running away from the house with, what looked like, feathers in the mouth. She went out back and found one of the hens gone. She was an older girl but hate to lose a girl. Sad day.

Back
Top Bottom