Colorado

thank you, yes I think we have some Welsummer's and Partridge Rocks, after further reading tonight. Also the solid white one (Isis), Little One and Honey are all EE based on the fact they have greenish legs? Agreed some white ones are probably Delware and I think a couple are the Columbian Wyandotte's. Not sure on the GLW, guess we will see what they turn into. It is fun having a rainbow pack and not knowing what breeds they are. Doesn't really matter as they are just fun. Sprouted some mung beans and feed that to them tonight. They liked it but not as much as cottage cheese, one of their favorites. Have also made flavored ice cubes for them on hot days based on berries that were turning and mint in the yard.

- all natural coop cleaner (vinegar, orange peels, cinnamon, essential oils). Let sit in cabinet for 3 weeks. Haven't used it yet as it is still in the sitting stage.

Is the cinnamon not an issue, I know it is toxic to many animals?

Is the cinnamon not an issue, I know it is toxic to many animals?
here are some resources regarding cinnamon.

http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2012/06/homemade-orange-peel-white-vinegar-coop.html

http://kornerstonefarms.blogspot.com/2013/02/chicken-coop-cleaner.html

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/04/herbal-pest-contol-spruce-coop-herbal.html

My understanding is that it is toxic if they eat it, but not it is NOT TOXIC if used in a cleaner. However, I am new to all this and don't have as much experience as everyone else so open to feedback. :(:D

Last edited:
So, after a setback from 2 faulty incubators, my Olive Egger project is finally bearing fruit. Here is (little egg) the first from my pairing with an F1 Wheaten Ameraucana/BCM rooster over an Easter Egger.

I have 5 more (would have been a lot more if not for the incubator holocaust) Olive Eggers from this rooster coming online by the end of the summer, and another 8 coming online early fall from a different rooster. I can't wait to see what I get!

I am overrun with cockerels that really have no business being rehomed, so I ordered a caponizing kit, and am going to give it a try this coming Saturday, under the supervision of a doctor friend whose relevant experience of doing surgery on people...will hopefully increase my chance of success. I'm excited at the prospect of actually enjoying eating my dual purpose roosters, rather than doing it as a labor of love, the whole time wishing for a broiler chicken that is tender.

Hi everyone: ) we live in Ignacio Co... I bought six straight run assorted bantams in the spring... 5 of the 6 are roos. .. I can't find any bantams that aren't straight run so, if I have some standard breed hens, does anyone know if they will breed?

Welcome lialua!
I have a bantam rooster who tries to breed my standards. I don't think he is successful I have never noticed any fertile eggs from my standard birds. Most of my bantam eggs look fertile but I have never tried to hatch any. I love the 4 bantam hens I have. They crank out eggs, they try to go broody every now and then but are easily broken of being broody.

So, after a setback from 2 faulty incubators, my Olive Egger project is finally bearing fruit. Here is (little egg) the first from my pairing with an F1 Wheaten Ameraucana/BCM rooster over an Easter Egger.

I have 5 more (would have been a lot more if not for the incubator holocaust) Olive Eggers from this rooster coming online by the end of the summer, and another 8 coming online early fall from a different rooster. I can't wait to see what I get!

I am overrun with cockerels that really have no business being rehomed, so I ordered a caponizing kit, and am going to give it a try this coming Saturday, under the supervision of a doctor friend whose relevant experience of doing surgery on people...will hopefully increase my chance of success. I'm excited at the prospect of actually enjoying eating my dual purpose roosters, rather than doing it as a labor of love, the whole time wishing for a broiler chicken that is tender.
Definitely keep us informed of how the caponizing goes. If it goes well you might have to have a class on it in the future. I'd love to do it with our extra roos bound for the freezer but am scared to try it on my own.

goodpost.gif
Absolutely! What she said! I read a descriptive article on how it's done, and thought to myself "self... this is like actual surgery!' Maybe you could video the process and post it (if it's successful of course)? I bought a capon from a store once many years ago but it left no lasting impression... I can't remember if it was good or not... I guess it wasn't "bad," as I would have remembered that.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom