Colorado

I can't wait to go home tomorrow. I need to find a new job where I don't have to travel so much! I'm tired of it.

On the plus side our girls have really picked up their laying! I'm really loving our chocolate egg! I'm annoyed at our younger girls for sleeping in the nest boxes! I try to keep them clean but they poop all inside them every night. argh!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I do think they may be bored. So, will look into some ideas. Right now, the little one sits on eggs in one of the nest boxes. So, she's isolated herself. I did notice today since I created the amazing screen door the other ladies are in and out of the coop more and seem to bother her more now that they are inside more. So, next project is how I can create more for them to do. I appreciate all the information. You are soooo great!!!

Is your bantam going broody? They may be pecking her head saying to get out of the nest box so we can have a turn. They can be total buttheads about using a specific box even if it is already in use.
What breed is the bantam?

We have some new layers...found two tiny eggs today, one blue and one brown. That makes a new Cream leg are layer and a new Cochin. We got six eggs yesterday and only the two tiny eggs today. we have quite the colorful egg basket...

Is your bantam going broody? They may be pecking her head saying to get out of the nest box so we can have a turn. They can be total buttheads about using a specific box even if it is already in use.
What breed is the bantam?
I'm not sure what going broody means but she moves around. She usually goes in after the laying is all done. She is a Bantam Wyandotte – Black.

Broody means she wants to hatch eggs. If she starts getting cranky when you take the eggs away, that means she's broody. She might be going in there to hide, if the other hens are being very mean. Do you plan to free range them at all? They might just be having a hard time acclimating to the new environment, and less area to roam. It's not terrible if you don't free range, compared to death from above. Lol. They'll settle down.

Broody means she wants to hatch eggs. If she starts getting cranky when you take the eggs away, that means she's broody. She might be going in there to hide, if the other hens are being very mean. Do you plan to free range them at all? They might just be having a hard time acclimating to the new environment, and less area to roam. It's not terrible if you don't free range, compared to death from above. Lol. They'll settle down.
I think she's broody. She is a bit cranky when I take the eggs but she's also very friendly and trusting of me when she's out of the nest box. I don't think we will do much if any free ranging as we don't have any trees or shrubs for safety at this time. Plus we have very large redtail hawks in the neighborhood that are amazingly fast and can come from nowhere. We were considering adding a coop with a smaller door for the bantams. We want to connect it to the same run for the time being. Would that work? We are thinking that way we can introduce more LF and have a few more cute little bantams as well. Any thoughts?

Holy smokes! All 4 hens laid eggs today! This is crazy.

Also got my animal blog's logo made today! I want to get it made into a stamp, but I'm not sure if the design is suitable. Gonna have to hit up Etsy tomorrow & hit some stamp makers up. (The stamp would be the design in the circle)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom