Colorado

So do ou usuall take the chicks back after your neighbors hatch or what do you work out with them? Or are you just tring to share your OCD (obsessive chicken disease) with them[/quote

Most of those eggs are hers. I gave her some of mine so she could get the incubator going. I only have a dozen going at the moment. Most are the silky americauna eggs. OCD. Yea thats about right. She will keep the ones that hatch from my eggs. She has been having trouble with fertilization. My roosters dont seem to have that problem. They are very prolific. My brahma has now taken over the fertilization process and is doung quite well. I kinda feel bad for the hens though. He is a big guy.

Last edited:
Does anybody have problems with the cyotes?

Nope, but that's because my dad is a trapper. The only thing I'll potentially have issues with are hawks/eagles/owls and my own dogs. Are you having issues with coyotes?

I went to Montana this summer just after show and while I was there we lost ten chickens, 3 show birds, when we got back were lost two more and had a few more visits from the coyote

I went to Montana this summer just after show and while I was there we lost ten chickens, 3 show birds, when we got back were lost two more and had a few more visits from the coyote
Well, you can try to get someone from Dept of Ag or animal control to help you out. Don't call Parks and Wildlife because they'll refer you to Dept of Ag or animal control. The likelihood of someone being sent out to trap them for you is pretty small, to be honest, but they or someone else on the boards might have nonlethal methods of deterring coyotes from your flock. If not, as a landowner, you have the right to kill any coyotes threatening your property/livestock.

Well, you can try to get someone from Dept of Ag or animal control to help you out. Don't call Parks and Wildlife because they'll refer you to Dept of Ag or animal control. The likelihood of someone being sent out to trap them for you is pretty small, to be honest, but they or someone else on the boards might have nonlethal methods of deterring coyotes from your flock. If not, as a landowner, you have the right to kill any coyotes threatening your property/livestock.
My dad would set the trap if we got the permit.

My friend is supposed to go out and see some people's place this weekend that might let her keep her chickens there. Yeah! They are much closer to her so that will be nice that she'll get to see them and take care of them herself. And I'll get to split up my roosters.
Here is a pic from the coop cam. You can see the Maran roo's comb is still healing. While I've seen the CCL roo go after the maran before I think for the most part they get along. I'm hoping I can just separate the silkie roos out and everyone will get along.

Does anybody have problems with the cyotes?

I think if you are losing that many, especially show chickens, then I would invest in better fencing options. Yes you can get rid of this coyote, but there will be more and loose dogs and who knows what all. Electric fencing is pretty economical, or even some field fence with a couple of strands of hot wire.

I think if you are losing that many, especially show chickens, then I would invest in better fencing options.  Yes you can get rid of this coyote, but there will be more and loose dogs and who knows what all.  Electric fencing is pretty economical, or even some field fence with a couple of strands of hot wire. 

Yes to this, instead of killing wild animals. Protecting your livestock is your number one job.

[COLOR=333333]My friend is supposed to go out and see some people's place this weekend that might let her keep her chickens there. Yeah! They are much closer to her so that will be nice that she'll get to see them and take care of them herself. And I'll get to split up my roosters.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Here is a pic from the coop cam. You can see the Maran roo's comb is still healing. While I've seen the CCL roo go after the maran before I think for the most part they get along. I'm hoping I can just separate the silkie roos out and everyone will get along. [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]
Are Silkies more aggressive or flighty, roosters or hens? I was thinking of maybe getting one later this year when things got back to "normal" with my job because my mom thinks they're cute. That's a big thing for my mom; birds of all kind freak her out. I think it was because she was a kid when the movie The Birds came out. :) If I did get one, it would be part of my mixed flock & I'm trying to figure out if that would work out or not. I want to get one so that maybe it could help endear the rest of the flock to her, just in case I recover enough that I can go on some trips next year & need someone to take care of them while I'm gone.

Back
Top Bottom