Colorado

Uzi, good luck on the hatch!    I just had my first quail egg breakfast; not much difference except for the cuteness factor.  :lol:

To me. The quail eggs have a richer flavor, but i eat them hard boiled. Pickled is my favorite though.
I finally got a quail egg on Tuesday. It had been three months since i had gotten one. The quail had been in the greenhouse for the winter. I think they missed their old diggs.
So far on my test hatch for the new big incubator i built for my neighbor. I have two hatched and 10 or so piped. I should get home to more chicks today. I already have the eggs together for the next hatch. I have a total of 21 goose eggs in there as well. The last goose eggs were all duds.

Does anyone particularly in the northern front range have a hen that broods a lot that they would be willing to sell me?

For about the past week i have been getting a mystery egg from one of my hens. It is a noce dark olive egg. I still dont know who it is coming from though. I have four that will go into the incubator when the current hatch comes out though. Here are a couple pics. Pics just dont do them justice.

Last edited:
@samsr Best of luck with the goose eggs this time! I hope they aren't duds. :)

One last peek before lockdown. I'm not feeling very confident about those last two making it out of the shells, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

fl.gif
Hoping for all four to hatch well for you Uzi. You have done a great job documenting the progress by the way.
I am way to much of a worry wart to ever try to hatch eggs myself.
Looking forward to seeing what kind of a chick you get with the interesting mix.

Hey there @BlackFrogHollow !
welcome-byc.gif
and welcome to the Colorado thread! I see you lurking over there and just wanted to let you know to; Please feel free to jump right in and join the conversation(s)!

Those eggs are looking great there Uzi! To my totally untrained eye, they don't look like they are that close to hatch date though... I think you said those pics were day 17? And they are supposed to hatch at 21 days? I thought they'd be much more developed than what they appear... Any expert hatchers out there that can comment?

@samsr , where are you getting the wine coolers to start with when you build your incubators? Trying to figure how you have less than $100 into each build??? Could you please share some pics of the larger one you were talking about?

edit to say: the hatch bug is really biting me hard right now and I can't decide to build, and what (cooler/wine fridge/plain old insulated box), or to buy and how expensive (sportsman bators look really nice but carry a really nice price tag as well)...

Last edited:
:fl   Hoping for all four to hatch well for you Uzi. You have done a great job documenting the progress by the way.
I am way to much of a worry wart to ever try to hatch eggs myself.
Looking forward to seeing what kind of a chick you get with the interesting mix.

Thanks! I totally nerded out & downloaded a spreadsheet app for my iPad to track the progress of the eggs. I've gotten used to making detailed notes of everything I don't want to forget as a way of dealing with the memory issues from the brain trauma that I *might* have gone overboard with this experiment. :) I probably shouldn't have tried hatching because all I've done is worry about them! LOL It was my curiosity of what that mix of breeds would look like that trumped my worry wartness.

Those eggs are looking great there Uzi!  To my totally untrained eye, they don't look like they are that close to hatch date though... I think you said those pics were day 17? And they are supposed to hatch at 21 days? I thought they'd be much more developed than what they appear...  Any expert hatchers out there that can comment?

Well, they've definitely been in the incubator for 18 days as of today. I know I'm still dealing with mild amnesia/dementia, but the Brinsea keeps pretty accurate time. :) But, like I said, I'm not feeling overly confident in getting any to hatch, especially the last two. Just have to wait & see now.

Hey there @BlackFrogHollow
! :welcome and welcome to the Colorado thread! I see you lurking over there and just wanted to let you know to; Please feel free to jump right in and join the conversation(s)!

Those eggs are looking great there Uzi!  To my totally untrained eye, they don't look like they are that close to hatch date though... I think you said those pics were day 17? And they are supposed to hatch at 21 days? I thought they'd be much more developed than what they appear...  Any expert hatchers out there that can comment?

@samsr
, where are you getting the wine coolers to start with when you build your incubators? Trying to figure how you have less than $100 into each build???  Could you please share some pics of the larger one you were talking about?

edit to say: the hatch bug is really biting me hard right now and I can't decide to build, and what (cooler/wine fridge/plain old insulated box), or to buy and how expensive (sportsman bators look really nice but carry a really nice price tag as well)...

I am getting the wine refrigerators off of craigslist. Look for ones that are not functional any more. I paid 20 for my big one. I will post up some pictures and maybe a parts list when these guys quit hatching. I have two in the brooder and 11 in the incubator at the moment. 4 more are pipped at the moment. That the reason i havent taken more out. I dont want to shrink wrap any. Humidity went from 60% to 70% while hatching. So far i would say the test hatch is a success.

Well it looks like I finally got a broody like I wanted. I put some fake eggs in one of the nest boxes two weeks ago and one of the BA's finally decided to sit on them. She spent all yesterday and all night on them and gave me the worst stink eye I've ever seen this morning. I'll try to get a picture of the stink eye tomorrow. I hope she's serious because I have some chicks coming in two weeks. Hopefully she'll do as well raising them as last year's broody. Wish me luck.

Looking good Uzi! Can't really see the air sac, but looks decent size.

Well, the hatching bug is catching or so I have heard!
smile.png
lol

I am triying a staggered hatch again, my first batch in did ok, second batch did great, third batch is looking iffy.....

I also have ten cockerals that are either Red Stars or RIR for sale, could be raised for meat as they will be fast growers. Are considering processing them ourselves, but would take $1 each if someone wanted to buy them as week olds.

Also got a early birthday/Easter present this week..........

Back
Top Bottom