Colorado

This is my test of a fish tank heater in my water busket. The heater is heavy buty metal so i wanted to make sure it wouldent melt the busket. The over night test instde is a pass now to put it out when the cold comes

These are nice. There is something so comforting about seeing and watching a yard full of chickens going about doing their things. Like you, I've been working on integrating, segregating, and setting up new coops for groups. I sold some older hens, but not ALL the eldest, gave away many, both hens and Roos, and I've been trying to set up breeding groups. Integrating groups is not always an easy or smooth operation. One of my coops sorted out just like yours: three on one side of the divider, and a dozen or so on the other; the two Roos...The real problem, though, was with the cockerels. Oh well, I know how much struggle and effort it can take to integrate chickens and how relieving it can be when things work out. Congratulations on finally getting it done!

Well there is something very enjoyable at watching the chickens explore their new area. Funny our pullets are the bravest and are the one's to first explore. They somehow managed to get through the dividers in the coop to go and lay eggs in the nest boxes on the other side. The older girls seem to not as adventurous and I had to shoo them and bribe them out of the run. The integration seems to be going smoothly this far. We will leave the divider in the coop and we are hoping to remove the divider this weekend. The birds have seen each other for two weeks through the barrier, that makes a big difference.

How many birds do you have? Sounds like a lot.

I have not tryed it outside yet. This weekend is suposed to be colder so i will try it out this weekend. Last night and today is testing still. I had to add a fish tank air bubbler cuz the water was hot on top and cold at the bottom of the busket. Trial and error I will get it sooner or later hopefully sooner.

I have not tryed it outside yet. This weekend is suposed to be colder so i will try it out this weekend. Last night and today is testing still. I had to add a fish tank air bubbler cuz the water was hot on top and cold at the bottom of the busket. Trial and error I will get it sooner or later hopefully sooner.

Does the fish tank heater float?

The problem I see with the fish tank heat is it's a very small element (10-15 W) designed to be used indoors were the ambient temperature of the house does most of the work keeping the water warm. Most fish tank heaters float and are clamped to the side of the tank or they'll move around in the circulating water.

Back
Top Bottom