Colorado

Grizzlies back in Colorado?
barnie.gif
ep.gif
I really don't doubt it... For how many decades have the govt professionals in many places been saying there are no mountain lions? Now with trail cams and the like there are pictures to PROVE they are there. Then there's the wolf/dog, wolf/coyote cross breeds that have spread all over the states. People thinking coyotes are no bigger than a small dog... 30-45 pounds, then they see one 70+. Anyway, If you can get a good picture of one of those grizzlies, be sure to post it!

Hi everyone! Thought I'd share a few photos of what I woke up to today. We have used Alaskan bear boards around the coop compound, and tarps to prevent prying eyes. Last night it didn't work. Lost two of my four birds, one of the old but beautiful and still laying reliably "flood" wyandottes and one brand new this year big black hen who WAS pecking two other birds kind of mercilessly. Now we're electrified. Should've just started out that way. This panel of fencing held tho' he pulled on it. I used 2 lbs of staples in the cage area and it paid off! I think the two who lived dived out of the sleeping coop into the caged area and he couldn't get in. And here's the storage shed door where I'd 'binered the door latch. That held, but he ripped through the door: So now the remaining chickens are in the main floor bathroom, sharing lodging with the neighbor's teensy tiny beat-up rooster I've been nursing back to health. There's 3 chickens in my house tonight. IN MY HOUSE. Thanks! There's just no one else who understands. Marcia in Northern Colorado between Estes and Lyons.
Marcia :hugs, sorry for the loss of your birds and glad that you have a few survivors. Man, that bear means business and of course he will be back. Any ideas if a black bear? Grew up in Aspen and my parent still live there and they get visits all the time. Luckily they don't have chickens. Sounds like your doing the smart thing with the e fencing and putting the birds in for now. Good luck and keep us posted.

Grizzlies back in Colorado? :barnie :eek:   I really don't doubt it... For how many decades have the govt professionals in many places been saying there are no mountain lions? Now with trail cams and the like there are pictures to PROVE they are there. Then there's the wolf/dog, wolf/coyote cross breeds that have spread all over the states. People thinking coyotes are no bigger than a small dog... 30-45 pounds, then they see one 70+.  Anyway, If you can get a good picture of one of those grizzlies, be sure to post it!

I think it's cool to have Grizzlies back in Colorado, just like seeing nature return to their native areas after we nearly extinct them. Also, don't need a trail cam to know about cats....saw a cougar last year down the road while walking near our house in Boulder. That was not near the foothills, but out by the reservoir. Now we are getting reports that we have a bobcat living on the property, living in an old barn of our landlord. Guess he has been feasting on our neighbors chickens, who are out free since the wind destroyed their run and coop. We also have raccoons and coyotes in our area as far as predators. Oh and don't forget the birds of prey up here, Eagles an hawks are plenty.

For those moving to Colorado, if you chose land in the mountains, be prepared for building or spending $ to get a secure predator proof coop and run. It is worth it.

Last edited:
We are still planning on Colorado. Just hard to leave Texas. We just want less heat. We are already clearing 100 here at our house. August is going to be awful.

I followed one of the links you guys posted and saw some nice land for reasonable costs. We are still working on narrowing down the exact location and area.

Does anyone know about the pesticide use there? I have been hearing rumors from beekeepers and some farmers that the pesticide for some crops aren't quite regulated yet and therefore it's getting used like mad. (we aren't moving there because of the pot laws btw, my husband and I are both against it for uses other than medical though we don't judge people for their use)

Tennessee has pretty much come off the list as Colorado is better situated for family and friends visiting. It's more in the middle than TN is. As prior truckers we saw a lot of Colorado from the highways. And that TA in Denver (I seem to remember it being in a different city but I am not 100% sure anymore) always made us sick. Lol, the random stuff you learn.

I'm sorry for the bear issues I saw someone having. Thankfully where I am we don't have large predators, just some very smart coyotes and raccoons. We use electric fence, works so nicely.

Are there any special requirements for electric fence with all that snow? Do you have to shovel around the fence? (we weren't fond of the snow though watching my husband step out of the truck and into a ditch filled with snow was hilarious)

We are still planning on Colorado. Just hard to leave Texas. We just want less heat. We are already clearing 100 here at our house. August is going to be awful.

I followed one of the links you guys posted and saw some nice land for reasonable costs. We are still working on narrowing down the exact location and area.

Does anyone know about the pesticide use there? I have been hearing rumors from beekeepers and some farmers that the pesticide for some crops aren't quite regulated yet and therefore it's getting used like mad. (we aren't moving there because of the pot laws btw, my husband and I are both against it for uses other than medical though we don't judge people for their use)

Tennessee has pretty much come off the list as Colorado is better situated for family and friends visiting. It's more in the middle than TN is. As prior truckers we saw a lot of Colorado from the highways. And that TA in Denver (I seem to remember it being in a different city but I am not 100% sure anymore) always made us sick. Lol, the random stuff you learn.

I'm sorry for the bear issues I saw someone having. Thankfully where I am we don't have large predators, just some very smart coyotes and raccoons. We use electric fence, works so nicely.

Are there any special requirements for electric fence with all that snow? Do you have to shovel around the fence? (we weren't fond of the snow though watching my husband step out of the truck and into a ditch filled with snow was hilarious)
Surprisingly, the snow here is not heinous. I lived for a long time in Nebraska, and when it snowed there the snow was heavy and hard and stayed around on the ground for weeks. Here, it snows and pretty much is gone in a few days. We get lots of sunshine even in the winter. You buy an SUV or truck with four wheel drive and it's all good. I lived in Texas for ten years (San Antonio and Lubbock), and loved it, but the climate is so much better here. Just my two cents worth.
big_smile.png

Has anyone had to deal with people stealing their chickens? I remember one person dealt with people stealing eggs, but I couldn't remember if any birds had been stolen. Asking because we had people in our yard trying to steal rabbits from us on Tuesday & the same people have been driving by our house multiple times a night this weekend (they aren't the brightest of thieves as they live down the street from us). Just wondering if anyone has had to deal with human break ins of their coops/pens.

Thank you.

Has anyone had to deal with people stealing their chickens? I remember one person dealt with people stealing eggs, but I couldn't remember if any birds had been stolen. Asking because we had people in our yard trying to steal rabbits from us on Tuesday & the same people have been driving by our house multiple times a night this weekend (they aren't the brightest of thieves as they live down the street from us). Just wondering if anyone has had to deal with human break ins of their coops/pens.

Thank you.

Are you kidding me? That is just awful. I would hang out a, "Trespassers will be shot on sight sign!"
Or walk around with a pellet gun. They look pretty menacing. Just make sure they see you and wave to them with a wicked grin on your face.
Or you know, call it in and file a report and all that.

Last edited:

Thank you.

If you've caught people on your property in the act of stealing from you, contact law enforcement and file a report. Without a police report, it's just heresay...you need to create a paper trail.

Are you kidding me? That is just awful. I would hang out a, "Trespassers will be shot on sight sign!"
Or walk around with a pellet gun. They look pretty menacing. Just make sure they see you and wave to them with a wicked grin on your face.
Or you know, call it in and file a report and all that.
X2 file a complaint/report.

Thank you.

Almost 30 years ago someone stole all my chickens in the middle of the night. I saw the footprints in the grass when I went out to let them out in the morning. The foot prints led to the alley where a car must have drove them away. It had to have been someone who know me pretty well to know that I even had them. I never found out who did it. It might be a good idea to put a good lock on your coup door. If it is local people and you live in a small community you can talk to the police and they can give them a warning that might help. When I lived in Miami Shores someone came and picked all our oranges and grapefruit off our trees in the middle of the night. The world is a crazy place now!

Back
Top Bottom