Colorado

Hi, all! I am new-ish and in Colorado. Was wondering how everyone's birds are doing with these recent drops in temperature!
pop.gif

They will be fine. Unless they are under about 6 weeks old or some featherless jungle breed, they shouldn't need any heat.
More birds are killed in barn/ coop fires than this kind of cold. Food, water and deep litter will keep them happy if they are healthy.

Hi, all! I am new-ish and in Colorado. Was wondering how everyone's birds are doing with these recent drops in temperature!
pop.gif

My four girls did just fine. They were a little reluctant to come out of the coop today which took some coaxing. I was just happy to see them happy
yippiechickie.gif

All is well here with the cold and the coping. The late summer chicks are big and strong so handled the cold very well. The one remaining 6 year old is showing her age but holding her own. The light Brahma got off the roost for a few days and stayed with the elderly hen. Because they are the only ones with those markings? Because she knew the old gal needed her? Who knows? I found it endearing to see them together in the bitterly cold morning temps.

They were not roosted yet when I closed the doors tonight so I am not sure if she will sit with her tonight as well.

The other thought would be that there is something wrong with the Brahma. She is of good weight and runs around all day doing chicken things so I doubt she is sick.

I agree that a healthy chicken given good food and thawed water should have little issue with our weather.

Hello, all. It seems I only post when I have issues lately. :/

The night before last with the super cold temps, my 3 boys with the big combs all ended up with varying degrees of frostbite. The 2 younger boys seem to not have gotten it that bad & are getting colour back (well, with the exception of Lucien whose comb was already naturally black). Unfortunately, it looks like this is the winter Memnoch got frostbite that isn't going to heal back up & will most likely lose his fantastic swoop & swirl. As of this evening, it looks like parts had blistered & bled during the day & other tips are turning pale. Is there anyone who has had to manage this before & can I get any tips?

I did fix the humidity level in the coop they were all in the night they got frostbite & it looks like I've got it fixed for now. I always feel like such an idiot when these things happen! Just disappointed because I love how each of their combs makes them look.

Hello, all. It seems I only post when I have issues lately. :/

The night before last with the super cold temps, my 3 boys with the big combs all ended up with varying degrees of frostbite. The 2 younger boys seem to not have gotten it that bad & are getting colour back (well, with the exception of Lucien whose comb was already naturally black). Unfortunately, it looks like this is the winter Memnoch got frostbite that isn't going to heal back up & will most likely lose his fantastic swoop & swirl. As of this evening, it looks like parts had blistered & bled during the day & other tips are turning pale. Is there anyone who has had to manage this before & can I get any tips?

I did fix the humidity level in the coop they were all in the night they got frostbite & it looks like I've got it fixed for now. I always feel like such an idiot when these things happen! Just disappointed because I love how each of their combs makes them look.

There was another member inquiring about using coconut oil for frostbite a few days ago.. I don't know exactly what their plan was, to use it to prevent it, or to use it after they had gotten it. I haven't had time to look it up, but maybe dabbing some on the scabs will help them heal faster or better or something?

It's a thought.. Might come in handy for me too, if it works. We seem to be getting no snow but frigid temps out here and I'm pretty sure I'll need it soon if this keeps up. :(

I need some snow...well, more snow :p

Last edited:
Uzi,
The thing is that the relative humidity was high during that cold snap too. No reason for you to feel like an idiot at all. The only way I have found to drop the indoor humidity lower then the relative humidity would be an expensive dehumidifier. Then one would have to sacrifice the ventilation.
I don't think you did anything wrong at all. These things happen to all of us at some point.
I have been lucky and only had one get it. She lost the tips and her status but made it through.
Touching the damaged tips can make it worse. Keep an eye for infection and excessive bleeding. I read about using corn starch to stop bleeding. I keep a powder on hand made to stop bleeding it is called stipic powder. Probably spelled that wrong. Petsmart or Petco may sell it but the cornstarch is said to work just as well.

Poor frosty chickens. Uzi, I hope your fellow heals up okay!

This is my first winter with chickens, I am impressed with how well they are doing. The EEs are outpacing everyone else in terms of laying... I'm only getting a couple eggs a day and they're usually blue. The April-hatched Welsummer is the only one who hasn't started.

Here they are on Wednesday refusing to leave the coop.

The winter panels on the run are doing a good job!

They will be fine.  Unless they are under about 6 weeks old or some featherless jungle breed, they shouldn't need any heat. 
More birds are killed in barn/ coop fires than this kind of cold.  Food, water and deep litter will keep them happy if they are healthy.

X2

Back
Top Bottom