Colorado

Quote:
If you get desperate you could always do the food dye test.
smile.png

The food dye test sounds interesting?

I was wondering if there is anyone in Northern Colorado (or front range) who would have a few hatching eggs available. I need some bantam eggs as my present batch in the incubator is down to 3 and two weeks to go! I am looking for bantam ameraucana, BB d'Uccles, bantam salmon faverolles or something along these lines? Please contact me and let me know if you have anything available. At the moment we are down to two bantam hens and I was hoping to increase our flock just a bit and also would like a roo again. We are trying to get established again after moving from SC a few months ago. My daughter's darling pet Amber (BBMFD) was killed in an unfortunate accident a few months ago and I would really like her to have a replacement chick... really hoping that these last 3 eggs make it! I had some incubator trouble in the first few days which knocked out the majority
sad.png

The food dye test:
You (carefully!) put a couple drops of food coloring in/around the hens' vents - each hen with a different color. For the next few days, the color will transfer to the egg shells as they are layed, so you will be able to tell who's laying.

Quote:
All I was stating was what is the food dye test. If you search, you will find many threads here on BYC discussing it.

Personally, I have never had the need to try it, so I can offer no personal experience.

Quote:
All I was stating was what is the food dye test. If you search, you will find many threads here on BYC discussing it.

Personally, I have never had the need to try it, so I can offer no personal experience.

I know it sounds really weird, but I first heard about using lipstick to mark the hens. Not kidding!!!
I had two different shades, don't remember how I ever got it - I never use the stuff anyway, but they were rolling around in a drawer. It worked perfectly and lasted a couple of days. Seems like it would be easier to apply lipstick than food coloring, lol
Of course you would want to be sure no one ever uses that lipstick for anything else ever again!!!

Now I remember hearing about the food dye test quite a while back. A lot of my girls are pretty skittish so I can't imagine traumatizing them that much trying to chase them and catch them and then put dye on their vents. Think I will leave well enough alone. I will just comfort myself knowing that even if a certain hen isn't laying I at least gave her a great life!!!!

PS--Read through my original post and just about gagged. My spelling and grammar were atrocious and I obviously didn't proofread!!! Sorry to have tortured you all with it!!!

Quote:
If you get desperate you could always do the food dye test.
smile.png

Yep will be there showing silkies and a cochin. Will also have a blue mott cochin roo for sale and a blue silkie juvenile....
Sounds like Saturday will feel like winter setting in on the Front Range! Bring jackets, temps may hit 50s which considering we were just in the mid 80s....will feel like an artic front.
smile.png

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom