Colorado

welcome-byc.gif

Good evening everyone! I'm a brand new chicken owner in Strasburg. We just got our babies in the mail today. There are 10 Ameraucana and 10 unknown packing peanuts that will eventually become dinner. I am so excited and so scared at the same time. Right now our plan is for them to live inside for a couple weeks, then out in the garage until its warm enough outside. I still have to build the coop and I'm wondering, in your experience does the coop need to be insulated?

Good evening everyone! I'm a brand new chicken owner in Strasburg. We just got our babies in the mail today. There are 10 Ameraucana and 10 unknown packing peanuts that will eventually become dinner. I am so excited and so scared at the same time. Right now our plan is for them to live inside for a couple weeks, then out in the garage until its warm enough outside. I still have to build the coop and I'm wondering, in your experience does the coop need to be insulated?

Congrats on the new babies! We live up in the mountains and do not insulate the coop. When the temps regularly get down to the single digits and below, we heat them with a lamp. Even then, not much. You'd be surprised how hardy chickens are.

Young ones will need warmth, as you probably already know, so keeping them warmer these beginning weeks is great.

Hope this helps. Others might chime in with different thoughts, everyone is great and helpful.

So a fox got my chickens tonight.........I only have 1 lonely hen left.........I don't know if I am going to get more chickens ever........certainly not right now. Not until I can fox proof my enclosure..........Anyone want one lonely Welsummer hen? Will be 1 in April, may be laying, but I had 2 Welsummer so I am not sure. I would be happy to swap her to someone in the Springs in exchange for eggs (eating not hatching). We can work something out, I just don't want to lose her too. I also have a Muscovy Drake who has now survived 2 attacks from this fox. I was going to eat him, but it seems rather cruel considering that the fox tried twice. I am willing to make some sort of deal for him too, for a home that is NOT going to eat him. If there are no takers then I am going to butcher him, it just doesn't seem very fair. Message me if interested. I want to get them safe as soon as possible.

Hi dennarahl, welcome to the chicken world! It's a blast! Make sure your little ones are under a heat lamp for several weeks. Usually at 8 weeks they can go out to the coop.

Noisynora what a sad, sickening thing to happen. Sorry it happened to you and the girls.
I came driving down the street one evening to see a fox with my favorite and broody at the time black Silkie hanging in his mouth. As I was crying and screaming at him I followed him in the car but he jumped into someones yard. Just killed me though. He showed up for several weeks after even brave enough to curl up and sleep at the bottom of the ramp leading to the coop door. They never give up. I hope you can find a home for your boy so he doesn't get eaten. Poor guy.

Hi all, We're considering starting a batch of chicks to eventually replace our flock which is turning 2 this spring. We'd like to have a variety with some dual purpose high producing layers and was wondering if anyone's got any non-hatchery stock chicks coming out soon. We're near Denver and are looking for chicks within hour's drive or so.

Nora,

So sad to hear about your loss.

Thanks!

-DB

Last edited:
Hi Dennarahl,

We insulated and very rarely bring out the heat lamps. I'm not sure we had to, but glad we did. We have a thermometer in the coop and it is alway 15 degrees warmer or so in the coop than outside. So far no frostbite!

Have fun with your little chicks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom