Colorado

You might want to check with Coopa Cabana (Gail) or ShysCreations (Shylee) they both have bantam Cochins and Shy has Silkies if those interest you.

Sorry, I didn't hatch thru the winter as no one was laying, so I won't have anything available until later this summer. I would definitely get in touch with Shy and see what she has available - she usually has some great stock available in either breed.

You picked the right time. There are lots of peeps who can help, namely in the Springs. I love that you made up a new word, 'Glean'. I will use it often. Welcome to BYC
th.gif

Last edited:
Hi all. My hubby and I live in Colorado Springs and joined Colorado Springs Urban Homesteading awhile back. We learned that we can have up to ten hens, no roosters in the city limits, so we have been doing research and planning. Our local feed store will have chicks the end of March. I grew up with chickens in Washington State, and my dad had a nice large chicken house, but here we are looking into a tractor that we can move. I like the look of the A frame ones. Does anyone here have any ideas as to the best type of mobile coop for our climate? We have a large backyard that we would move them around on. We are thinking of starting with five hens and see how it goes.

From the ideas shared so far, I glean that we should raise the babes inside for about 8 weeks and then move them out to the coop. In winter, we would be using a heat lamp for the coldest nights. This is the coop we are leaning toward building for them.

Looking forward to sharing and learning on this site and welcome any comments, observations, etc. If anyone lives close to us at Powers and Barnes area, we would love to visit someone local with existing chicken setup. :)

welcome-byc.gif
We are near Vickers and Rangewood. We don't use a tractor, but if you would like to see the setup you are welcome to stop by...joe

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I am sure the Springs members will give you lots of into. They are great! Each area of CO seems to have its own peculiarities as far as the weather and taking care of the chooks. Today, my kids and my chickens are staying home - unless we catch a quick airstream to Kansas!!!

welcome-byc.gif

Well, the "breezes finally got the best of me yesterday. I got 9 sections of rails up (36 2X4s) before I had so much dust and dirt in my eyes I couldnt see anymore. Today looks like it will be much warmer, but the breeze is supposed to be relaced by a light wind...( <60mph ) I may decide to wait it out until the weekend.......

Thanks everyone! Lol. Does anyone belong to either the Urban Homesteading group or Pike's Peak Permaculture/transition town manitou...they are having a potluck this sunday we are thinking of going to...maybe meet in person there. I will talk to hubby, Joe, and see if we can find some time to arrange a visit. We had that wind strongly at our place last night. Hubby says it will be warmer and sunny today. Still looks cold out there to me, but definitely looks like spring is on its way to us. Have a great day everybody.

Originally Posted by Newchiknmomma

Hi all. My hubby and I live in Colorado Springs and joined Colorado Springs Urban Homesteading awhile back. We learned that we can have up to ten hens, no roosters in the city limits, so we have been doing research and planning. Our local feed store will have chicks the end of March. I grew up with chickens in Washington State, and my dad had a nice large chicken house, but here we are looking into a tractor that we can move. I like the look of the A frame ones. Does anyone here have any ideas as to the best type of mobile coop for our climate? We have a large backyard that we would move them around on. We are thinking of starting with five hens and see how it goes.

From the ideas shared so far, I glean that we should raise the babes inside for about 8 weeks and then move them out to the coop. In winter, we would be using a heat lamp for the coldest nights. This is the coop we are leaning toward building for them.

Looking forward to sharing and learning on this site and welcome any comments, observations, etc. If anyone lives close to us at Powers and Barnes area, we would love to visit someone local with existing chicken setup. :)

I got this A-Fame tractor last year, it was made in Black Forest. http://www.ajoyfulnoisefarm.com/?p=405 I have 4 chickens in it and they were just fine this winter, no frost bite.

Last edited:
Is there anyone interested in a foursome of bibbed call ducks? I have one drake and three hens. I thought I had a home for them and it fell through. I want to try Coloradians first since I do not want to ship adult birds. these are pet quality that I know of. The drake and one hen I hatched last spring so they are not yet a year and the other two hens I got from a friend in eastern CO. They are lovely birds. Give me a pm if interested and I can send pics and talk $. I am interested in finding a snowy hen call duck for a lonely male I have. Thanks.

Anyone have suggestions for egg eating? I think the girls have been wind and snowed in too long. I'm finding remnants of egg shells, some poked through and some yoke on eggs left.

I have no idea who is doing it, and if I had electricity I'd figure out a way to hook up a camera to figure it out. We were getting 8-10 eggs a day and for weeks now, since I found the first one, we are down to maybe 3.

Thoughts? Can I stop it?

Back
Top Bottom