Colorado

Unfortunately a couple days ago the EEs got snatched by a nighttime predator and now I have to enclose the roof. I did not originally plan on doing that but will have to figure out the best way to do it. Now we the 4 RIRs that are brought in every night until they are fully feathered.

We learn everyday.

Any suggestions after looking at the coop and run would be gladly accepted.

Well, I'm no expert, but here are my thoughts and questions:

Your pictures are a little small for my old eyes, but it looks like your fencing is made of chicken wire? If so, I really would suggest you go to something more sturdy, like a utility fencing, and definitely surround the bottom with about 2 ft of hardware cloth and a buried apron of about 2' of the same material. This is pricey, but it only has to be done once (I hope). Chicken wire is good for keeping chickens in but absolutely not good for keeping predators out.

It sounds like you are sure they went over the top of the fencing? Any idea what the predator was? Were your birds in the coop at the time? If so, how did they get into the coop? I know what most would recommend, more wire over the top, but I have to admit that I only have bird netting over mine at the moment. But I'm pretty sure my coop is predator proof, so I'm only worried about flying predators I also have a german shepherd mix that patrols my yard. Dogs are a great predator deterrent.

All this should be taken with a grain of salt, as I've only had birds for a month. Good luck!

4CrazyEggs it looks as if there is a door frame but no door on the coop. Is that right? If you lock them up at night in a secure structure, your birds should be fine. I live in a rural area where we have foxes living on our farm. Everyone gets locked up at night for their own good. The foxes take neighbors chickens and mountain lions take neighbors sheep but we suffer no such losses. We also have 2 pair of bald eagles this year(so excited) and no losses to them. We don't have a covered run. Also you can use hog panels for fencing. It is a stiff heavy gague wire that you can secure your chciken wire onto. If you want a taller fence than 4ft. use Tposts with the hog panels stacked one on the other. You would get an 8 ft tall fence. Won't stop a climber though. Good luck.
Ryan The garden is looking good!! Love the idea of keeping the girls on the perimeter. Best place to catch those pesky grasshoppers!!

Thank you Cara, it has been a bit since i checked in....but I am on it now!
fl.gif

It has, thanks! We got nearly all the back yard fence done, only about 18 feet left. We ran out of steam after 8.5 hours. AFter that section gets done, we start on the chicken area. All the post holes are dug, so we will be putting the posts first. First hatching eggs show up in less than two weeks.

How's everyone liking this Colorado weather? My packing peanut boys out in the coop are not impressed with the cold and would much rather be inside like the girls.

My girls in the garage are confused as to why the door has been shut two days in a row. They look miserable. It's not terribly warm for them out there with it being so chilly. When it warms up again they'll be very happy I'm sure. Not this weekend but next they go out to the rest of the flock in a cage to protect them and acclimate them to both the flock and the weather.

Back
Top Bottom